**** DONE: 1/72 A-20 Havoc - Aircraft Nose Art GB.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys, I'll get back on to this as soon as I get some paint on the Blennie!!!!

Charles, good to hear from you.

Good start Bill.

I had a look through a book I have on the 312th called "Rampage of the Roarin' 20's" and come across these profiles.

HTH

Cheers

Peter

Profile_zps1e63dbb8.jpg

Profile2_zpsecef2260.jpg

I've not seen that one Peter. I have a photo of the real thing, the original, and there is no star and bar on the upper wing of the pelican. I've got artwork ready to go to the printer for decals.

Hi Bill

It's possible that the pelican was repainted. Here is the original pic and story in the book from which the profile was done.

I note the artwork on the restored Hell n Pelican II is slightly different and may reflect how the nose art was when recovered, and the pic attached is an earlier version.

The first Hell n Pelican was actually a P-40N flown by Davidson before the squadron was equipped with A-20s.

Didn't mean to create confusion here, but interesting none the less.

Cheers

Peter

Attachments

• book article pic.jpg
    book article pic.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 62
  • book article.jpg
    book article.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 57
Again............ the forum to the rescue. Thanks for that Peter, duly noted and stand corrected, as the art work will be corrected as well. But now I have a Davidson P-40 to do!!!! The list grows. :)

This morning I did some more, this time in the pit. Added a lever, to be repainted, to the right side of the lower instrument panel. Some raised stuff to the side panels. The throttle quadrant I added some old PE left overs for the levers. And there appeared to be something behind the pilot, like a gas cap or other. So they are in.

I'm hoping to finish this one a little quicker than the Blenheim so I can get onto a Viet Nam era RAAF flown USAF 48th F-4D Phantom for the museum.

I sailor on, with a little help from yous guys!

Attachments

• GB19 Dvdsn A-20 6.jpg
    GB19 Dvdsn A-20 6.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 51
Good stuff Bill. That 'shelf' behind the cockpit is normally covered by a dinghy pack, so any other detail is hidden. This is only visible if the cockpit roof is open ( see my Boston build in the first Heavy hitters GB).

Good stuff Bill. That 'shelf' behind the cockpit is normally covered by a dinghy pack, so any other detail is hidden. This is only visible if the cockpit roof is open (see my Boston build in the first Heavy hitters GB).

Something has happened to your construction thread. Behind the pilot is a flat area, like a car package shelf at the back seat.

It is stepped there and below that short flat spot appears to be oxy bottles. I have one cutaway that shows an axe attached to the wall of the step up to the back flat where the dinghy was stowed.

T Bolt Nice start Bill. True Details resin wheel set comes with the dingy pack. Might dress up the area a little.
I will look!

Attachments

• dinghy stowage.jpg
    dinghy stowage.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 58
Something has happened to your construction thread. Behind the pilot is a flat area, like a car package shelf at the back seat.

It is stepped there and below that short flat spot appears to be oxy bottles. I have one cutaway that shows an axe attached to the wall of the step up to the back flat where the dinghy was stowed.

T Bolt Nice start Bill. True Details resin wheel set comes with the dingy pack. Might dress up the area a little.
I will look!
Strange. I could have sworn I'd included the dinghy pack construction and fitting !
The build thread is there, in the lower section of the second page. The cockpit construction is shown on Page 2 of the thread, with the hatch cover drilled-out on Page 11, but the dinghy is not shown!
My references showed a very shallow step to the 'shelf', just like the kit parts, and those bottles etc are under the shelf, behind the bulkhead, out of view. I made the dinghy pack from 'Milliput', with straps from tape and foil, and I can photograph this if it'll help, and can also post a pic of the real thing. I retained the kit wheels, just sanding down the heavy tread a little, and they looked fine once in place, so saved the expense of the resin wheels and dinghy.

Thanks Jan......

Terry, I will save even more by using the Crayola stuff from the grammer school, which I used for the sound deadening pad on the walls of my SH-3A Helicopter. Now I have found that there was a big piece of armor plats behind the head of the pilot. The bottom of this plate sat on the shelf above the oxy bottle in front of the area for the dinghy.

No work onner today, I was at the museum.

Back on the Havoc.
Just had to do Something to make some headway onner.

Added a couple of thingies, throttle quad, a tube and panel here and there, plus a couple of levers. and some paint. Added the guns in the cone and on the sides of the nose, they just stick out a bit.

The nose tip is not a Perfect fit so I lined it up at the bottom cuz the top will be easier to shape and not take off the guns in the cone.

Weight in the front and can button it up. The armor plate behind the head of the pilot, I think? and the raft!

Attachments

• GB19 Dvdsn A-20 7.jpg
    GB19 Dvdsn A-20 7.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 84

Users who are viewing this thread

Back