**** DONE: 1/72 F-86F - Aircraft Nose Art GB. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Just a quick question, wheel wells for a F-86F-30.... is it interior green, dark green, white etc? :D

I've seen a couple variations on models, but I'm thinking interior green? I have no picture of a F-30 at hand, but I know most of the early Korean models (A to E) had interior green. Just wanted your opinion guys before I proceed :D

From the first picture in the last post, I added the sprue (white) to simulate the detail in the wheel bay, taken direct from some photos of previous sabres and the 1/48 F-86F-30 I have in my stash :D forgot to mention that hehe :D
DSCN7948_zps1353c4fa.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
A LOT of work went into this one since the last update. I'll post it slowly :D
I didn't take a pic of the complete sanding of the aircraft as I had a bit too much sanding dust on me, so my appologies, but here is the end result of careful sanding and then re-scribing with the saw.

I'll start it off with what I remember doing then work it out from there lol

First off the Drop tanks, puttied
DSCN8046_zps5085cd5a.jpg

and sanded:
DSCN8047_zps186fb170.jpg

Finished sanding the wings, but made a little error while re-scribing, so sand it off a bit again :D

DSCN7974_zps85ba2a4c.jpg

Follow the line! :D
DSCN7981_zps1f2e5a89.jpg

Still crooked :(
DSCN7989_zps82ce591d.jpg

Sand and fix again ( I repeat this like twice or three times, gently sanding and gently applying the saw before getting it perfect, but since I can't make out the bad from the good pics heres the final :D at least I think its the final lol I'll take another shot later of this wing to see :D:

DSCN7998_zps2930a802.jpg

or this one :S
DSCN7973_zps050f8394.jpg

Here is the other wing:
Just finishing up the final cut (marked off by pencil)
DSCN7993_zpse2d4fbb6.jpg

Finished :)
DSCN7999_zps67c88974.jpg

Tested out the seam and re-scribed the rest on the front of the cockpit:
DSCN8000_zps7d02c997.jpg

Same followed on the rest of the fuselage and tail, sand then re-scribe but
I went a little crazy sanding on the tail on one side, so I had to putty and re-scribe the portion, this time it was good :D
DSCN7995_zps7bc6d3ee.jpg

Other side:
DSCN7994_zps95c2a553.jpg

Final after polish:
DSCN8004_zpscdeea4f4.jpg

There will be another post after this one, in regards to paiting, as soon as it uploads :)

Airstrike on Mongolia? Last time Canada declared war on anyone was when the now de-funct Rhino Party declared war on Belgium for putting down a rhino in a zoo. Nice job on the re-scribing Igor.

Geo

Heres the other post, one post behind this one is about scribing etc, I forgot to take pictures during the yellow paint :D oh well whats done is done :D

Here is the hard part.....marking everything off, both tail surfaces took me 7 hours each for the checker board :D on one color (had to do black and silver)
Make an outline:
DSCN8032_zps73d315c1.jpg

Cut it out and add it to the tail :D Followed by ample amounts of crying and almost giving the model flight:
DSCN8037_zps423ddd20.jpg

Other side:
DSCN8034_zps3f139a37.jpg

This is how the yellow turned out:
DSCN8033_zps4c025ba4.jpg

Black and Yellow :D
DSCN8041_zps728c47ca.jpg

Bottom:
DSCN8040_zpsa4862907.jpg

Tail, I was surprised how well the light curing Tamiya putty takes the saw and scalpel well and paint :D :
DSCN8044_zpsc12f72aa.jpg

and other side:
DSCN8043_zps5d12ce54.jpg

Really loved painting this aircraft, it was hard hard work but it paid off, I'd rather not risk those Decal stripes, the paint gives it a lot of character :D

Here is the bottom side, I made another error on one of the lines there, so I took a photo pre-fixing it, I filled this (bottom line) with putty and sanded, and then re-scribed I'll take a photo later to show the effect :)
DSCN8045_zps9af7ee4e.jpg

Final picture, apparently I forgot to add this one somewhere in the middle of the post :D
Today I spent the day painting the silver, unfortunately I forgot to take a picture of the completed taping :D and yes again, 7 hours each side of the tail lol :D
You can kinda see why I stopped work on everything else to finish this beautiful bird :D :)
DSCN8039_zpscfbad157.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back