**** DONE: 1/72 F-86F - Aircraft Nose Art GB.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I'll take a vote, but Gloss or Flat on the Aluminium? I like gloss but its sometimes over powering, so I usually flat coat all my aluminium and silver models. What do you guys vote? :D

If the plane was of polished surfaces .. I would use the gloss .

52of65NOSEARTBOOK.png
MB-1.png
Just 1 or 2 photos and they are all black and white, its the kit decals bird "Mike's Bird" I'll try to dig out those photos from my pile.

There they are, looks shiny in one photo but flat in the other :D
Forgot to mention I think I pulled these photos off the net somewhere

top post, the covered aircraft is Mike's Bird (bottom right)

Last edited:
I just kept it to one (Tamiya Flat Aluminium)for now until Future dries then I'll see what to do..., The second photo looked like it was one color, so I ended up painting it as such :S

I recently refound that 1st photo when you asked :) and you can definitely see the gun bay in there is a darker color.

I've got 3 paints of which I have
Tamiya Flat Aluminium, flakes pretty bad with Tamiya tape, so I'll leave it as one color for now until the future drys. We're supposed to get rain and thunderstorms, which will kill any further airbrushing, I might go over it with a brush in the spots that need alternative aluminium (darker or lighter tones etc) but that's about it for the airbrush this time round on this model :(

No idea on the alternative spots for silver etc. Looks like the gun bay need a darker tone? Anything else I might look at?

I'll post a update in a couple days when everything drys, just thought of asking these questions now rather than later :D

Last edited:
Well I've applied Future, so it gave it some gloss, maybe just some flat to even it out once the decals go on giving it a semi-gloss ? :D

I'll see if I can't run to the hobby shop and pick up some semi-gloss for the final coat :D

Last edited:
Igor I don't think you can buy the semi-gloss varnish there. Usually it is a mix of matt and gloss ones with 50/50% ratio. :) But the plane looks a little bit more matt than semi-gloss. And applying of the matt over the gloss Future background can work.

Last edited:
Igor I don't think you can buy the semi-gloss varnish there. Usually it is a mix of matt and gloss ones with 50/50% ratio. :) But the plane looks a little bit more matt than semi-gloss. And applying of the matt over the gloss Future background can work.

Thank you Wurger :D I'm near broke with my budget for this bird, so the Future/clear coat (dullcote, matt) is a relief :) I'll try this method. :)

Might be sand bunkers in the shape of a train?

Anyway, the model is completed but I havn't had time to update the thread I've been working so hard to get her finished by today (CAPCON 2013 right here in Ottawa! our bi-annual modeling show) I wanted to have something from the Korean War as it is the 60th anniversary of the conflict., so here goes :)

Pitot Tube, seam line eliminated and ready for mounting
RSCN8051_zps47b49c40.jpg

More seam type things to destroy :D here on the landing gear there are some dots (not in any other models I've noticed of the F-86) and they look like left overs from the mold.
DSCN8054_zps1edcc45c.jpg

Gone :) (for some reason I forgot to take the after photo with the paint on you'll have to excuse me with that but the paint is on :)
DSCN8056_zps1205da46.jpg

Landing gear also had a seam in the middle and it was sanded off.Here is the final product
DSCN8065_zps4183b275.jpg

Again same process repeated on the drop tank holders, very time consuming :( and again I have the before but not the after, I'll have to take some close ups on the model itself.
DSCN8053_zpsdfa3cb00.jpg

Application of decal shots:
Almost perfect but a rip on the 1 in the serial number:
DSCN8085_zpseaf20ecf.jpg

Step #1, paint it lightly, let it dry:
DSCN8090_zps6123a101.jpg

#2, 3-4 coats of light dry brushing achieve this effect and it is complete:
DSCN8092_zps21578f7c.jpg

Slight rip in the bottom Black Decal Stripe:
DSCN8081_zps245c9760.jpg

Fixed with Black paint:
URL=http://s1059.photobucket.com/user/Tzarigor/media/DSCN8082_zpsb6a61337.jpg.html]
DSCN8082_zpsb6a61337.jpg
[/URL]

S in USAF was accidentally ripped when searching for the Drop Tank Holes:
DSCN8083_zpse08c4f73.jpg

And fixed with flat black again:
DSCN8084_zpsec553b2d.jpg

Decal Rips, once they dried I had about 3-4 rips on the decal, it was very odd but I ended up fixing it:
RSCN8067_zps5c0a0f50.jpg

RSCN8069_zps2fc75d95.jpg

and the fixes and painted interior of the air brake bays:
DSCN8101_zps017f181b.jpg

DSCN8098_zps1b1574ca.jpg

and finally landing gear bay painted up front:
DSCN8094_zpsdf359b9d.jpg

DSCN8095_zps89b2d4d8.jpg

Hope you guys enjoyed :) and here are 2 small teaser photos of the completed kit at the competition today :)
The only thing missing is to update with a improved cockpit photo, I added the final parts to it (a little more color, scratch built seat belts)
DSCN8116_zps7943ef30.jpg

DSCN8217_zpse5170eb3.jpg

Thank you all :) I'll update this thread with the final couple things and then upload the finished thread :)

Here it is:

Custom made "lights" for the wing lights :), I made a couple sections of lights and chose two that matched the blueprints I have.

I carved them out of the spares box of crystals :D
DSCN8103_zpsa27aea08.jpg

and final with a light coat of clear red and green, I repeated this process 7 times and picked my favorite out of the bunch, Totally different from these 2 (which are my first 2 that I tried) Once I took the close up shot with my camera I didn't really like them so I ended up re-doing it a couple
DSCN8104_zpsdff05bb0.jpg

Finally the cockpit :)
Seatbelts were challenging to make, paint and install but I was really happy about the result :)
DSCN8105_zps7e869c51.jpg

and final, I installed the black gunsight and added the lens (unfortunately forgot to photo the lens :S but it should be in my finished section, you can see it in the model when you zoom into the canopy:
DSCN8106_zps8002f1b8.jpg

just a small P.S. I wasn't sure if the judges want a picture of the tail so I made this one before I started my final shots. It shows how the tail is in a V shape (similar on all 30s) Looks even to me :D
but you be the Judge ! :D :) hehehe
DSCN8232_zps8417be06.jpg

Thank you all for commenting and checking out the thread :) I can't believe I fit in enough work to get this model finished but I'm glad I wasn't too held back as usual down to the wire for our competition or I wouldn't of made it in time :)

Next up, Finished build thread! :D YA :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back