**** DONE: 1/72 Lancaster Mk.III - Heavy Hitters II GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Good stuff Bill. Just one point regarding the armoured head shield on the pilot's seat - it didn't have a head-rest pad. This was a painted circle of gas detecting paint, in a yellow colour, with a very slight green tinge. From memory, the armour plate was around 6mm, so quite thin in 1/72nd scale.
Evan, if you're stuck for plastic sheet, strip, rod etc, let me know. My LHS stocks it (as does Hannant's), and I can easily send some over in a card-backed envelope.

EDIT: Just adding a couple of shots taken at Duxford, which might help.

I removed my ref to Hannants as I went to the site and couldn't raise Styrene, so just assumed! Sorry.

A for the ref.... I thank you again for some invaluable information. Did thee pilot have to turn around just before carking it to see what the cause of his death was going to be???????

Thanks all for your comments....

No Bill, the Flight Engineer, or the Navigator, would tell the pilot he was about to snuff it!
Far as I remember, the sheets are found under Modelling Materials, or perhaps Plastic Card, at Hannant's. If not, then just select either 'Slaters' or 'Evergreen' in the Manufacturers choice box, ignore scale, product, key word etc, and hit 'Search'. They are the two main suppliers - it's generally just known as either plastic card or plastic sheet/strip/rod/tube and so on in the UK, rather than 'Styrene', as this is more commonly used to describe expanded polystyrene, or 'Styrofoam' products over here.

The styrene is everywhere........

Except in Hungary! Rare as hen's teeth here, only available at the big annual model events when foreign companies exhibit. (Did manage to score 2 sets of Evergreen strip once at a 2nd hand model market, but even that source has dried up, high cost killing the demand)
Thick sheet styrene is available from one local supplier in 1 x 2 or 3 m sheets, but also ridiculously expensive and far too thick for 1:72 work - they cater for the 1/16 RC tank market.

Thank God for internet shopping then...

Thanks for lookin in on me guys.

Evan, if you have trouble getting styrene, I'm sure Someone will get some to you.
I'll make a list if the most used shapes I have and post!

Well I've got the next 15 days to get as much work done as I can before I become a one armed model builder, for six weeks. Rotator cuff op on 6 June!

Getting the cockpit, radio and nav section more or less settled. Now working on the bomb aimer rest and bomb sight stuff.

Attachments

• 18 Lanc 6.jpg
    18 Lanc 6.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 79
Looks great Bill, and hope the op goes well and you're a whole man again soon!

Thanks too re the styrene, will order from the net. Be keen to see a pic of what you use most though anyway, always interesting to see other modellers' tools of the job.

Thanks Evan..

I have on hand; mind you I did not get this all at once!

Rounds; in mm's, .75, 1.0, 1.6, 2.0
Rect; in mm's, 1.5 x .75, 1.5 2.0, 2.5 x 1.0
Sq; in mm's, .5, .75, 1.0, 2.5
Angle, in mm's, 1.5 x 1.5
Sheet; .5mm, .75mm

I would start with the smaller sizes. If thicker is needed in rect or sq it can always be stacked.

FYI, I use the Humbrol glue in the yellow container with the needle tip. The reason is it will glue styrene together to itself and the kit plastic like magic.

Hope this helps.

Beauty, cheers mate!
Have 2 sets of Evergreen strip myself, 0.25 x 0.5, and 0.5 x 0.5. Very nice indeed, but often too big for 1:72! :)

I know what you mean. Styrene is not all that rigid in the Really small sizes.

Like the framing I stuck in the bomb aimers nose here, it's a bit thick, but once painted..... well, you know. I'm constructing the sight now, a little large in scale, but..... you know............. hehe.

For the framing I drilled holes for better support. If I had tried to stick the ends of the styrene to the bulkhead, it would never hold, so I will trim and fill at the outside. I also chucked the floor and chest rest for the BA. I've made the cushioned chest rest and will go in at assembly.

I sailor on.

Attachments

• 18 Lanc 7.jpg
    18 Lanc 7.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 88
Nice mate!

I kept a whole lot of squared and round IC leg cutoffs from my soldering days for just such a job - ideal if soldered together, not glued. Can try and send you some if you like, though it's very possible the posties will destroy the package - worth a shot though.

Good stuff Bill. here's a couple of my shots of the navigator's station, and bomb-aimer's compartment in the BBMF Lanc. Note that this example does not have the H2S receiver, and has a modern TACAN display fitted, but otherwise original.

Attachments

• 2011-04-11_13.JPG
    2011-04-11_13.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 79
  • Can Jan 723.jpg
    Can Jan 723.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 97
If I had the space I would do all my stuff in 48th scale just so I could do more and accurate scratch stuff. I've seen photos of the BA area with one, both and none of the framing from the side walls. Sure would be nice to find a whole time capsule plane in a garage somewhere eh?

Years ago I had a customer in my sign shop who went to an estate sale. An old broken down wood garage in the back of the house and nobody could get the door open but could see an old car inside. He bid on it for 500 bucks. A '40 ford coupe, 300 miles on it. Flat tires, dirty, interior all original and perfect. Had not seen the sun for 50 years. Put tyres on it, gas In it and drove it out to the car carrier!

Thanks for the exxxxxcelent photos.

Those 'V' shaped frames are standard Bill. Later modifications for different equipment fit, or perhaps partially restored aircraft, might show different, but there should be a frame on each side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back