Done : Fw190D-9 ll> Stab./JG2 Gruppe Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys!

Dan, I'm bad for that. It got in before in went into the fuselage so it's all good. I leave gunsights out all the time, then have to cram them in once the canopy's on. Not fun!

I'll post pictures later of the fuselage. I have it together, and all the wings are on. I'm really at the painting stage, so hopefully I can do that soon. I'm just still not sure exactly what colours I need yet.

Sounds good about colours Wayne; I'm a bit hazy regarding late-war schemes myself - not too bad with the greens, but it's that one that is brownish - Braunviolet I think it's called? Can't remember the RLM number, I'll have to look at those cross-refs that Jan sent.

here is the little note I whipped up....below...for your thoughts...

Now to start with the colours....

Eagle Editions :
Upper Surface Wings RLM 75 Gray-Violet/RLM 83 Dark green possibly RLM 74 Gray-Green.
Lower Surface RLM 76 Light Blue

JaPo :
Upper Surface : Fuselage RLM 83/ RLM 82 Bright Green. Wings RLM 83/76
Lower surface RLM 76 front half of lower wing and fuselage and Natural metal rear half of wing.

Attachments

• This D-9 JG 2.pdf
    213.8 KB · Views: 48
Nice piece Wayne! (sorry I haven't the knowledge to comment but it looks Fantastic!)

That is one cool looking plane!

Wayne, would I be right in thinking that the pictures you have of this D9 are halftones, in books? If so, could you e-mail me a SAME SIZE copy as in the book, of one, or both, and I'll check the dot sizes etc against a grey scale comparator. I'm assuming that the fairing for the armoured head-rest is RLM 66, so that will give me a starting point in the greys.
Obviously I can't promise anything definite, as there are so many variables regarding the reproduction, and of course electronic transmission; but with a print-out I might be able to give some pointers. When you are scanning the pics, set your scanner for a coloured image, NOT black and white, grey scale or line.
Cheers,
Terry.

Yeah, I agree with Les. There wouldn't be any 76 on the wings. I'm going to try something using photoshop to compare the colours. Here's the EE chart I'm using, I'm working on making a new one that's actually readable, but it's mind-numbing cutting, copy, pasting, then typing, then doing it over and over and over, so I'll finish it after. Is it just me, or does Rot look orange?

Eagle_Luft_Colours_Samples.jpg

Sorry for the triple post, but this post has some actual information to it.

After looking at the photos, and read what Wayne has to say, I agree with what he has in there.

For the top colours, I am certain one is RLM 83. While not spot on, like Wayne mentioned you have to take into account fading, and the one colour on the wing is too close to the nose to ignore. The second top colour was the tricky one. Comparing the pictures and the colour chart turned "grayscale" (Terry, you may be cringing at my method, but bear with me!), RLM 82 is not in the same colour range as the top colour, but RLM 75 is. Like Wayne pointed out, the colour that is oversprayed on the cowling is the same as the lighter top wing colour, and it is ALSO the same as the top fuselage colour. So, to put everything together, EE seems to have gotten it more correct than Japo in this instance.

Top: RLM 83 Dunkelgrün/RLM 75 Grauviolett
Sides: RLM 76 Lichtblau

The RLM 75 overspray seems to continue from the nose back all the way to just above the cross, which then becomes RLM 83. There appears to be little to no mottling on the tail, perhaps a little bit on the upper left tip. It also appears to not have any non-76 on the front ridge of the tail.

Dan, did you leave that thread for your Dora alive where the errors in the MM paint colours were discussed?

Looking Good Cory.On the camera deal no Macro setting?then set the focus range to lowest setting?I am by far no expert with the thing still playing with mine and learning.Kevin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back