Done : Fw190D-9 ll> Stab./JG2 Gruppe Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yessir! At least out here! :lol:

Here are some pictures! As you can see, the yellow bled through the tape, so I need to repaint the white. It's supposed to be in the positives for temperatures tomorrow, so hopefully I can spray quite a bit. Ideally I'd like to get the white fixed and Lichtblau painted.

DSCN0631.jpg

DSCN0636.jpg

DSCN0633.jpg

Ah!! that sucks Catch.....even if the masking tape is not stuck down perfectly make sure you make light even passes over the area you want to do, then do another section on the other side and then back again, gives the paint a little time to dry.... and build it up gradually. The paint normally will only run if you apply a bit too much too quick...then it finds places to spoil your fun....:mad:

I agree with Wayne.Sadly it seemed you haven't made seams smooth.And it could be an additional reason for the yellow bleeding through the tape.

Kepp it up Cory - have a bit of practice on some card or a 'scrap' model - the do as Wayne advised. With the tape, when it's in position, run the back of your fingernail down the edge; this will seal it down, and you should be able to 'feel' any imperfection. If in doubt, check it with a magnifying glass; sounds a bit OTT, but better than making a ****-up later. Those main wing-root joints - run a mix of clear varnish and talcum powder into them, and they'll seal up and disappear, and probably won't need sanding.
Looking forward to the next bit mate.
Terry.

You can use Johnson's Klear/Future, which works quite well for a 'thin' mix, but I normally find that an enamel gloss varnish is better. It'll take a little longer to set, but not as long as varnish on its own, as the talc acts as a hardener. I'd suggest the latter for those joints. Apply it with a brush, into the joint, wiping off any excess with a tissue, then LEAVE IT! Once it's hard, then, if needed, a light sanding will do the business. Use the folded edge of fine wet dry, used wet, and sand gently. It shouldn't take much, and you'll find the joint is smooth and perfect. Use an old brush BTW, as it will be difficult to clean it thoroughly afterwards.
If unable to get/use varnish, then Wojtek's method is just as good, using light grey matt paint, preferably enamel, but acrylic should also work. I prefer varnish, as it tends to dry smoother, but the advantage with the paint is, you can see any imperfections or depressions immediately, and can re-coat as you go along. BUT, don't try to do it in one thick coat - it's better to have to repeat the exercise, than have a ridge to cope with! And, as with most modelling techniques, if in doubt, try it out! In other words, have a go on something unimportant first, if you are not sure what you are doing.
Cheers mate, good luck.
Terry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back