**** DONE: GB-36 1/48 Macchi C.202 Folgore - Axis Manufactured Aircraft of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks a lot guys, comments appreciated! Made some more progress laying down the camo. A Bruno Mimetico mix was made from 75% Gunze H310 Brown and 25% Tamiya XF-64 Red Brown and the mottling pattern sprayed freehand. As per the reference pictures, the mottling was made more dense on the fuselage than on the wings. This took several hours but I knew what I was letting myself in for with this camo scheme!

camo e web.jpg

The cowl which was a replacement on this aircraft and carried a different camo scheme was masked off and sprayed Nocciola Chiaro 4 using a mix of 75% Gunze H310 Brown and 25% Gunze H79 Sandy Yellow. References show a camo of messy looking fine squiggles.

378 folgore d web.jpg

These were painted Verde Oliva Scuro 2 using Gunze H65 Black Green with the 0.2 mm nozzle of my Badger Krome. Kinda tricky in this scale but got an acceptable result I think...

camo f web.jpg

Just the undersides to go and we're largely done with the painting. Thanks for stopping by...

Excellent interpretation of a complex scheme! You did a wonderful job of it, Kirby!

Looking good Kirby. I mentioned the worn prop blades back in post 213.

I suppose you could do with an extension to the GB date? It finishes Sunday.

Hey, I brought up the prop blades in post 201! ;)

Grazie amici! :thumbleft:

So I did things slightly out of order this build and masked off and sprayed the underside camo last. I used Gunze H317 for the Grigio Mimetico, slowly building up the colour over the pre-shading. You can see some of the intended panel to panel variation.

camo underside a web.jpg

A closer look at some of the pre-shading. This will form the base for further shading and weathering.

camo underside b web.jpg

The patch where an old identification number was overpainted was sprayed freehand Verde Mimetico 3 using Gunze H303 and all the masking removed.

camo g web.jpg

The white coverage on the top and bottom of the cross on the tail isn't quite adequate but that will be easily fixed by masking and spraying. I'm happy with the amount of pre-shading giving a worn/dirty effect on the fuselage band.

Now, back to the prop issue. You'll remember this picture from earlier in the build showing significant wear on the back of the props.

378 folgore b.jpg

I previously stripped the paint on the back of the props and then laid down a base of flat aluminium. I debated whether to use hairspray chipping for this effect but in the end just simply sprayed black and then immediately scrubbed it with a moistened stiff brush to simulate the wear.

prop worn web.jpg

In the photo the wear goes half way down the prop but I didn't want to go that extreme, so I'm representing the aircraft when it had less wear.

Thanks for stopping by folks.

Last edited:
Thanks chaps! Gloss coat and decals on. Decals were printed by Cartograph and a joy to work with.

decals a web.jpg

decals b web.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back