**** DONE: P-47M Thunderbolt - Lt. Russ Kyler - Aircraft of the Aces GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Looks great, sorry I had not noticed this thread before. I actually used the metalizer before and used their sealer. Not sure if I had done something wrong but when I tried tapping over it it just pulled it off. Glad the Future worked, I'll use it next time myself.

Main painting finished! Still have to do the nmf where the canopy sits when closed, but the big part is done. I tried some subtle post shading on the upper surfaces, but it's not all that noticeable.

Now, on to the final assembly and weathering.

IMG_2789.JPG

Question, fellas:

Would the exposed portion of the dropped flap near the wing be nmf or black like the top side?

flap.jpg

Thanks, Andy

Another question...

Where can I get a new canopy for this model? (It is a Tamiya.) The metallizer I sprayed on the frame seeped under the tape and melted into the clear, ruining the canopy. :evil: I coated with future to try and salvage it, but the damage was still quite visible.

Although the flaps were normally in the neutral (up) position on the ground, those pics I've seen of them deployed show bare metal along the hinge line.
You can possibly save the canopy if you polish it with 'T-Cut' (Auto body colour restorer) or metal polish. Depending on how 'deep' the damage is, it may need gentle sanding first, using very fine wet n' dry. Otherwise, it's time for a vac-form replacement from squadron or similar.

Found a Tamiya P-47D in the stash, so I'm going to rob the canopy from it as it looks the same as the one in the M kit. Went with NMF on the exposed area of the flaps. Gotta coat all the metallizer I sprayed yesterday with Future today. :)

Went with NMF on the exposed area of the flaps. Gotta coat all the metallizer I sprayed yesterday with Future today. :)

It's your call. Here's what Nige said when I asked him.

"Then you get into the field painted aircraft and this is where the fun starts.
Basically, if the flaps were up when it was painted they usually stay unpainted nmf.
If the flaps were down, then there are some instances where the camo continues on the exposed area."

The black on those 56th FG aircraft would fit into 'field painted' so whatever you do is justifiable.

Cheers
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back