**** DONE: Tamiya 1/48 Messerschmitt Bf-109E-4/7 - JG 26 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yep...eyesight is a very important thing for modellers. Unfortunately my one has gotten worse recent years. But using the magnifying glasses I'm able to see almost all edges of very small details.

For me, Ordnung muss sein, aber "Chaos reigns supreme" (sorry, my German is not good enough to translate that).

I like what I see so far Maria. Nice detail work, but you may find the gunsight will eject from it's position with the volume of handling yet to do. You may want to take it off before it goes AWOL and put it on much later.

Very nice work Maria, and I agree about the gun sight. It's in the 1st Volume of the Law of Sod, Chapter 3, Para 2 "Those things which are small and bl**dy difficult to fit in the first place, will get knocked off, and then be impossible to fit, as they have vanished into obscurity in the great void known as the carpet/tile/floorboard Monster".

Yep...eyesight is a very important thing for modellers. Unfortunately my one has gotten worse recent years. But using the magnifying glasses I'm able to see almost all edges of very small details.

Haven't got one, but I've seen that my local supermarket Aldi has got a lamp with a magnifying glass built in, for a very reasonable price.
And I can use it not only for model building, but also whenever I tie dry flies and mess with my stamps - hm! ;)

For me, Ordnung muss sein, aber "Chaos reigns supreme" (sorry, my German is not good enough to translate that).

I like what I see so far Maria. Nice detail work, but you may find the gunsight will eject from it's position with the volume of handling yet to do. You may want to take it off before it goes AWOL and put it on much later.

Hi CR - try "Chaos, Chaos Über Alles" ;)
Thanks for the advice on the gunsight. :thumbleft: I found one of my old tackle boxes and I use it now for storing tiny model parts in, when I'm done working on them for the day.
That way they don't disappear. ;)

Nicely done Maria!

Thanks. :oops:

Very nice work Maria, and I agree about the gun sight. It's in the 1st Volume of the Law of Sod, Chapter 3, Para 2 "Those things which are small and bl**dy difficult to fit in the first place, will get knocked off, and then be impossible to fit, as they have vanished into obscurity in the great void known as the carpet/tile/floorboard Monster".

...like a tiny screw from my glasses going AWOL on the asphalt of Nørrebrogade among several hundred motorcycles and people. :lol:
Thanks for the warning Terry, I think I worked out something practical for tiny model parts being worked upon, storage-wise. ;)

Attachments

• 47.JPG
    47.JPG
    103.4 KB · Views: 275
Last edited:
That's an excellent idea Maria ! And thanks for the heads up about the lamp/magnifier at Aldi - there's a store only about 1k from me, so I'll stick my head in and have a look-see.

Very nice!

Thanks KevinK. ;)

That's an excellent idea Maria ! And thanks for the heads up about the lamp/magnifier at Aldi - there's a store only about 1k from me, so I'll stick my head in and have a look-see.

Thanks Terry - dunno about the lamp w. the magni glass, it's been a while since they had them for sale, but I saw one of those lamps on sale at my local Aldi recently, so I don't know if your Aldi has got any left, if they've had them on sale - or something. I hope you find one. ;)

girl_curtsey.gif

Good start there Maria, like your tackle box idea too....I put most of my 'bits' in zip lock bags to avoid losing parts...

Thanks Wayne. ;) I just thought that my old tackle box might be practical, and it was. ;)
Just for safety's sake, I usually put a rubber band around it, just to make sure that the lid stay closed if I accidentally drop or push the box from the table.

----------------------------

And another question:
I just discovered today that there's a pretty vital difference between the Tamiya 109 that I'm working on, and the Airfix 109 that I've got waiting to get built:
The Tamiya one has got swastikas for the tail, the Airfix 109 hasn't got any.
Why is that? Is it still that sensitive a symbol? *scratches head*
I know that it's an illegal symbol in Germany, but is it illegal in other countries as well?
And where do I get the appropriate size swastikas ( 1/48 ) for the Airfix 109 - does the model shops have them?
Dayum, gotta go look - bbl!

Btw, I got myself a nice lil' basic needle file, some masking tape and the final paints that I needed for my kit, today - love the little needle file, I'm sure it'll come in handy very soon, as I've been using a 4-in-1 nail file - that's a big mofo for model building! Oh, and I got myself another brush, one that's slightly bigger than the tiny 10/0 one I already have.
Now I'm beginning to understand why your tool sets and such is expanding - damn, it's too darned easy to think: "Hmmm, that file looks nice...and I've got to have those brushes too...and some of that stuff over there looks interesting too!", when you visit a model building shop! In other words: The shopping part is addictive, too! :lol:

Last edited:
The reason seems to be the one ... Airfix doesn't want to offence anybody.To be honest the firm isn't the only one that sellls kits without swastikas. Academy does that as well. These decals for your Airfix Bf109 you can find in the Techmod #48 015 1/48 German Swastikas WWII decal set or Swastika decals 1/48 of BEGEMOT. Also you can ask for them here in the forum. I'm sure there is somebody who has the spare pair of these morkings.

I'm short on 1/48th swastikas myself, or I would have offered - must buy a new sheet.
BUT - e-mail or PM a postal address; I've just renewed some modelling tools, so I have a few duplicates I can send you, including jewellers files. Might save a few DKr.

Wurger: Thanks for the information, it's good to know in the future if and when I want to make more jerry warbirds from WW2. ;)

Crimea_River: Thanks my friend, I really appreciate the offer. *huge hug* :thumbleft:
But there's a model/hobby get-together tomorrow in Valby near Copenhagen, I might just find what I need there. ;)
(Y'know: Some people and patience... ;) )

Airframes: Awww thanks Terry, I appreciate the offer. *biggo hug* :thumbright:

Night Fighter Nut: Oh yes, these guys are great. :)
Tonight I've been painting a wee bit, getting undercarriage, wheels and engine cowling ready, plus applying some paint to the top surface of the wings.
Last night I just glued a few wee thingys together, I was pretty darned knackered, so I didn't bother to work so much on the kit.

Wayne: Aw thanks! *big hug* :D

Progress for last night and tonight:
As mentioned, I glued a few things and painted a bit. I took my time fussing over the various parts, removing the little things where the parts has been attached to the plastic frame that keeps the parts in one piece in the box, bonding stuff together and then filing gently to remove the worst edges before painting.

And guys?
I really do appreciate your generous and kind offers, but I got to admit that sometimes I'm at a loss for words when it comes to expressing my gratitude for other people's help, generosity and kindness.
I become shy and don't know what to say, but I'm working on it - so here's the short, direct version:
Thanks! Love you guys! :oops: :oops: :oops: Is it okay if I go bury myself somewhere now??? :shock: :oops:

Attachments

• 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    128.9 KB · Views: 135
The offer still stands Maria if you don't end up finding any. (I feel REALLY hugged now!)

Interesting technique, painting everything before assembly. That's OK as you shouldn't have much problem with the fit of the parts. No gaps should show, exept you may need to bend the wings up a bit to close the joint at the wing root to fuselage.

Coming along nicely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back