Extremely detailed Zero schematics

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi Shinpachi,
Those wooden parts look very interesting. How compatible is Shade with something like the "Blue Saw"? It would be cool to have the parts made from your drawings and then fit together in a scale model?!?

Since this is a thread about the Zero, I thought you might like to take a look at my current project for Combat Flight Simulator:
http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/personal-gallery/ivans-cfs-aircraft-19751.html

The visual model is just a major modification of my earlier A6M5, but the really interesting part to me is the flight performance.

- Ivan.

Excellent A6M2b project. Your skill is great:shock:

I haven't ever tried before but I believe the Shade data is compatible with "Blue Saw" and other CAM tools because the data can be output in 'dxf' style which is common one for CAD software.
Fantastic idea. Thanks:)

Also with 3D modelling you can export as a IGES,Parasolid or STL file for 3D printing or Rapid Prototyping..All our frames are Waterjet cut using DXF files,accurate to a quarter of a millimeter and damn fast.All our frames were cut within a day with lightening holes and rivet holes added..

Hi Shinpachi,

Do you happen to know what the maximum continuous power settings are for the various engines used to power the Zero? I figure you probably have the data somewhere.

Thanks.
- Ivan.

Hi, Ivan!

Thanks for your question about the Zero performances.
As I have the list of all types of A6Ms, I'll translate it to introduce here soon.
Give me a few days.

Thanks!

I have taken a few weeks, not a few days for translation. Sorry.

Here is a perfect Zero fighter specs performance list in English. A pdf file of 19.4KB.
Please enjoy.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Specifications of Prototype 12 Carrier Fighter and Type 0 Carrier Fighter Model 11- 63.pdf
    19.4 KB · Views: 269
  • Screen.JPG
    Screen.JPG
    188.3 KB · Views: 527
You are welcome, Micdrow and Ivan.

I know there may be not a few wrong expressions about the technical terms but hope you will understand them.
Thanks!

Last edited:
I once came across a description of the Zero with the Sakae 31 engine. The claim was that the Sakae 31 was a slightly longer engine and made the aircraft slightly longer. After reading this, I noticed on one of the more common photographs that the cowl flaps were closed at a slightly different angle which seemed to confirm the difference in the engines. Have you ever come across such a description?

- Ivan.

Thanks for your posts Ivan and Wayne!
This thread really seems a good place to talk about the Zero fighters well:shock:

I haven't ever heard of the Sakae 31 engine was longer than the 21 but a Zero fighter(any model OK) often looks a different type of aircraft when the cowl-flaps are closed tightly inward the fuselage.

That is all what I know about the cowl-flaps8)

As I have received a question from a member about how to shape the propeller blade of Zero fighter, please let me introduce it here.

Till end of 2003, I was working for a subsidiary maker of Sumitomo Metal Industries to manufacture landing gears as well as propellers for patrol planes. That factory was using a French-made computerized 3D milling machine to shape the blade, but in the 1940s, I heard it was done by a copier lathe.
I trially made a GIF animation to introduce the lathing work taken from a French movie 'Stuka'.

The other attached image shows the moulds for Zero fighter propeller used by Sumitomo.
Thanks.

Attachments

• Shaping_Propeller_Germany.gif
    Shaping_Propeller_Germany.gif
    3.2 MB · Views: 445
  • Propeller_mold_for_Zero.JPG
    Propeller_mold_for_Zero.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 447
Last edited:
wow, really interesting info Shinpachi...I love the picture of the propeller molds. That is such a great detail of history. I wish my Japanese was good, I would join the forum "zero world"...I look around at the topics, but never join the discussion. I would need a translator program, and I'm not sure they are up to the task...
:eating::coffee:

Yah, the language difference is a very big barrier for communication.

In my case, I was NOT interested in English till 16 years old when I met American high school students
in my home town Sendai city for the first time. They came from Tokyo for the mutual friendship.
No English, no communication with them. I started learning it harder than ever.
Looking back that time, I was lucky to meet them because I was able to join this forum after all:)

Please don't hesitate to join us:)

Lots of work there my friend.Good to see you are dedicated to preserving the Zero.They gave the Spitfires over the top end of Australia a hard time.
PS there are some more files in the Esnip folder for you.Am trying to export all the SW files over for you..

Hi, Spits!
This will be a good opportunity for me to learn more about engines.
Thanks for your kind offer.

Project support for phil is also going on.
The harder the project is, the more I am interested in it.
Thanks for introduction too.

Attachments

• Kinsei_45image07RR.JPG
    Kinsei_45image07RR.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 407

Users who are viewing this thread

Back