First Build From a Long Hiatus...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

What Terry said! I bought me Dragon kit before I got all of his info, not sure what I would do today if I was deciding which to build, have no reference to go by except the kit looks to have good detail but have never seen the other.

My build will be highly modified as I am bashing it to Merlin's Magic race 22 Mustang from Reno air races. I know Stu from my sign painting days in California and did the nose art on the plane, see my Av and signature. I have a thread for my 1/48th kit, cut down wings, flipped up wing tips, back seat. I had started this one before deciding to do the 1/32nd kit. The big one I want to have the cowlings off, a work platform around and hole in the crank case.

Journey Back from 2006 - Merlins Magic

I get caught up in doing too much kit bashing and ends up dragggging on and on. Doing a 1/72nd F4F from the Yorktown, I have cut the wings apart made inserts for and am folding them. Now why in the world would I want to do that????

just another picture, as you can see I've painted the nose section and although a few tiny bits got under the tape I think that once I do the weathering they shouldn't be noticeable.
I have also painted all the prop blades,fuel tanks and other small pieces, but would it be a good idea to spray clear on it now before applying the decals and weathering? or should apply decals first then clear and finally weathering?

Pretty table cloth eh...........

p-51dmodel.gif

Looks good Paul. The decals are normally applied to a smooth, glossy surface to avoid 'silvering' etc, and this is what a gloss clear coat is used for. This is followed, after the decals, by another clear coat, to give an even appearance, then the required clear finishing coat - matt, gloss, or semi matt or whatever. However, on a bare metal model, I normally apply the decals to the paint, then give them a coat of clear, only immediately over the decals, to seal them. This then leaves the metal as .... metal! You can apply a clear coat overall, but be aware it will alter the appearance of the finsih, the choice is yours.

Well here's another update, decals now applied next will be a satin clear coat prior to my first attempt at panel lines.
Unfortunately though as you can see by the wing star and bar picture, I have no micro sol/set and this was the result so I will have to try and mix a blue paint to closely match the decal and paint out the defects.
p-51model.gif

p-51modelwing.gif

That looks great Paul ! Don't go overboard on any panel lines - it looks pretty natural as it is.

Thank you all, and yes I will be subtle with the panel lines because I've seen heavy ones and they don't look right.
I will be using chalk pastels and will mix a dark grey to see how that goes.

Another update with good and bad news.:(
First the good news, I have matched and painted in the damaged decal, also I am rather pleased with my first attempt at weathering /panel lines ( panel lines accenuated on the front cowls only since Airframe suggested the standard panel lines look okay and I agree )
Now the bad, as you can see the clear coat has been sprayed on but it looks pebble dashed, and I don't know if it is a too low a pressure in the gas can or wether I still need to thin the laquer more.
Can this be redeemed? or am I screwed?

p-51badclearcoat.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back