Flyboys movie trailer

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

lesofprimus said:
Ur right, that blip seen is cheesy as hell Wc, and I was unaware that a colored man could get into a combat slot in WWI.........

There was only the one black pilot as far as I know. The only black American anyway. He started out in the French Foreign Legion. Interesting stuff.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugene_Bullard

The trailer looks interesting. I'll have to check that one out. It's probably nowhere near accurate, but what the hell? It looks pretty good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugene_Bullard

While in the United Kingdom he worked as a boxer and also worked in music hall. On a trip to Paris he decided to stay and joined the French Foreign Legion upon the outbreak of World War I in 1914. Wounded in the 1916 battles around Verdun, and already awarded the Croix de Guerre, Bullard transferred to the Lafayette Flying Corps in the French Aéronautique Militaire and was eventually assigned to 93 Spad Squadron on 17 August 1917, were he flew some twenty missions and is thought to have shot down two enemy aircraft.

With the entry of the United States into the war the US Army Air Service convened a medical board in August 1917 for the purpose of recruiting Americans serving in the Lafayette Flying Corps. Although he passed the medical examination, Bullard was not accepted into American service because Blacks were barred from flying in US service at that time. Bullard was discharged from the French air force after getting into a fight with an officer while off duty and was transferred back to the French infantry in January 1918, where he served until the Armistice.

He also spyed on Germans in Paris before WW2.

http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/nge/Article.jsp?id=h-741

Although not quite as dramatic as the zepp scene, Willy Coppens claimed to LAND HIS AIRCRAFT ON AN OBSERVATION BALLOON, which is slightly smaller than a zeppelin!

On one occasion, the balloon he was attacking shot upward and Coppens actually landed his cobalt blue Hanriot HD.I on top of it. Switching off his engine to protect the propeller, he waited until his aircraft slid off the top of the balloon, then restarted the engine and watched as the German balloon burst into flames and sank to the ground.

http://www.theaerodrome.com/aces/belgium/coppens.html

looks like annother polictically correct "here come the americans to save the day" "war" film ruined by the relationship, i'll bet good money at some point he kisses his' gal, says some incredibly lame line, then runs off to his plane to shoot down the red barron, you know, on account of how accurate it's gonna be :lol:

the lancaster kicks *** said:
looks like annother polictically correct "here come the americans to save the day" "war" film ruined by the relationship, i'll bet good money at some point he kisses his' gal, says some incredibly lame line, then runs off to his plane to shoot down the red barron, you know, on account of how accurate it's gonna be :lol:
Nah, I doubt it'll be that bad. It just looks like a good story about some American boys who volunteered to fly for the French in the Great War. The battle hardened Brit and French pilots give them a bit of a rough time until they prove themselves. Nothing too far-fetched about that. That's pretty much what happened.

From there things may take a turn-off into la-la land, but we'll have to wait and see I guess. :lol:

The flying scenes look pretty amazing, but the story seems kind of lame. As for flying a Spad through a Zepplin, I don't think it would be such a good idea. :D

Wow... a WW1 flying movie... either PoS or worth a look... me, I'm tired of movies with yanks saving the day but I suppose as Puttnam said you can't get the backing for anything else - hence his Memphis Belle r.t. a Lanc epic. Shame.

FLYBOYJ said:
Besides the Plane is a Nieuport 11 Bebe - If that really happened it would of probably bounced off....

I missed that in all the action. Considering how the Nieuports tended to shed their lower wings in a steep dive, I don't think there'd be much left of one after it came into contact with the aluminum girders of a Zepplin.

In the air there are often no frames of reference. WW1 fighters could manage about 100 - 140 mph in level flight, so the combined closing speed would be in the order of 200 - 280 mph, which is pretty fast.
In dives they may have been able to get near 200 mph, and obviously at low altitude the sense of speed is massively increased.

I just saw a Camel flying with a rotary engine this weekend. They are incredibly loud engines. The airplane seemed to have way more performance than the Fokker Triplane with a flat modern engine, that was flying with it. The rotary is an engine with a sound charateristic that seemed absent in that trailer.
I'll see the movie, but I am less concerned about the "American's save the day" aspect, than the just plain lousy history. If anyone has noticed that the language that one speaks today is filled with all kinds of slang and reference that were in no way used in the early 1900's, you know waddam talkin' bout, ah'ight!
Chris...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back