Massive 8.9 quake rocks Japan

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Shinpachi and Ppoppsie, I'm very relieved that you all and your families are ok. I didn't hear about this until after I got to work this morning and have been anxious to know how everyone is fairing in this disaster. I just wish now that there was something I could do to help. Again, I am glad you folks are ok.

Last edited:
I am also glad to hear that you guys are okay. Stay safe there. I heard on the radio that the Fukushima reactor is still in considerable danger. I have seen quite a bit of video on the TV and on the web and it looks devastating in Sendai and in the Miyagi prefecture. We will keep you all in our thoughts and prayers.

Santa Cruz and Crescent City in California suffered damage from the tsunami wave here on the west coast of the US. 4 people were swept out to sea when they were taking photos of the tsunami. They were told to stay away from the beaches and they chose to go there. From what I heard, three were rescued and 1 is still missing. When you are advised to stay away, it's usually a good idea to heed that warning.

While we suffered some damage on the west coast, it is nothing compared to what Japan has suffered.

you are right of course Eric but tell that to those who lost all their livelihoods in those small vessels in Crescent City and Brookings. My wife has business this weekend on the coast so she will take some pics of Brookings- Harbor, the place is a disaster at the moment.

hang in there Japan !

Looks like one of the reactors blew out something around 1600jst.

Correction as of 1710jst: one of the buildings housing a reactor exploded and its external panels were blown off and only the framework remains.

Last edited:
With such a loss of electricity around there may be power rationing implemented from tonight on. Therefore Shimpachi-sama, I believe you're living in very far from the damaged area so please let the other guys know about the things happening.

I'm glad you are OK, ppopsie:)
and Thanks everyone for your all warm words.

I had to go out today(and tomorrow too) as life in Osaka is going as usual.

Yes, one of the reactors exploded.
Evacuation area has been extended to radius 20 kilo meters just now.

P3120675SR.JPG

Sorry Wayne. I must correct.

At 20:30, 30 minutes earlier, Government announced that the explosion was caused by hydrogen gas which was leaked from the reactor. The reactor itself is said not damaged but we have to pay attention to the fact that hydrogen was produced by 'meltdown' though they say that is limited partial. Their final solution is said to fulfill the reactor with the sufficient seawater.

Addition:

An expert says that they would be going to fullfil the drywell which surrounds the reactor with the seawater to cool.
The seawater would be contained with Boron which absorbs neutron.

Thanks Eric.
Three civillians who were within 10 km when hydrogen exploded are confirmed exposure.

Broken building of Reactor No.1
Image from NHK News at 23:45(about 45minutes ago) March 12.

P3120680SR.JPG

Hope the reactor's fissionable material all stayed intact, although if it was outgassing hydrogen, my guess is its just the building which suffered damage (at this point). I'm prayin for the best, here, that this doesn't turn into another Chernobyl. Man, the tree-huggy types are gonna go ape-sh!t over this.

I am praying for the best here, but I am honestly expecting the worst. I really hope I am wrong, but once this starts it is more than likely only a matter of time. I hope they can get everyone evacuated out as quickly as possible and I pray for everyone over there.

I do question the judgment however of having Nuclear Powerplants in the most earthquake prone area of the world.

Still lets hope they can get this under control.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back