Meteor NF.12, 46 Sqn, RAF, 1/48th scale.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks chaps.
Not much to show yet - got the canopy masked and fitted, added a venturi to the port side of the nose, and in the process of building-up the white sprayed areas.
Pics tomorrow.

Thanks my friend.

I was about to photograph the painted areas, when the camera batteries died, so pics tomorrow, when it should be dry enough to mask.
Meanwhile, here's what it looked like before painting the white areas.

PIC 1. Canopy masked, fitted and the joints sealed with PVA. The rough edges of the masking tape were trimmed after the pic was taken.
PIC 2. A venturi was attached to its mount on the port side of the nose, made from shaped plastic rod, drilled at the ends, mounted onto a short length of plastic strip. The joint indicated by the red arrow needed a little more sanding, which was done before the white paint was applied.
PICS 3 and 4. The canopy frames painted in the interior colour, with the inside of the the lower, port frame also painted, to cover the strip of white plastic used to back the hole in the frame. The small hole on the bottom frame has since been filled.
PICS 5 and 6. How the model looked immediately before painting the white areas.

The mid, rear fuselage, and upper wing panels, have been sprayed white, and masks will be applied in the areas of the roundels and fuselage 'fighter bars' The latter will have red strip decals applied to create the double chevron arrowhead, the 46 Sqn markings, whilst the white discs will provide a background for the roundels, to prevent 'show through' of any camouflage colour demarcation.

Back some time tomorrow with another up-date.

Meteor NF.12 46 Sqn build 212.JPG
Meteor NF.12 46 Sqn build 214.JPG
Meteor NF.12 46 Sqn build 217.JPG
Meteor NF.12 46 Sqn build 218.JPG
Meteor NF.12 46 Sqn build 222.JPG
Meteor NF.12 46 Sqn build 223.JPG

Thanks very much again chaps.
Not really trials and tribulations Geo, more a case of having to deal with expected extra work, due to the type of kit, in a very tight schedule.
If I were to build this kit again, and I'd like to, then with plenty of time allowed, and probably having a break form it now and then, I think the 'problem areas' could be dealt with fairly easily, if perhaps taking a lot longer.
Just hoping the paint goes on without any problems, then I should be close to the finish by the end of next week - I hope !

Thanks Kirby.

Just a bit of tidying to do, and then mask the intakes, jet pipes and wheel bays, and she'll be ready for paint.
After spraying the white areas, I noticed I'd missed a couple of things. I'd mistakenly left the rear half of each tail-plane joint 'open', thinking that was the line of the elevators. But on checking some pics and plans, and then checking the model closely, I realised that the joint line was further outboard, so the gaps needed filling !
I also discovered that there should be another venturi on the starboard side, slightly further forward, and higher, than the one on the port side, so this has been added.
The areas for the fuselage 'fighter bars' and roundels, and the wing roundels, have been masked over the white paint, some further filling has been done along the wing roots and joints between the outer wings and nacelles, and more 'sealant' (PVA) has been applied around the canopy joints.

PIC 1. The gaps deliberately, but wrongly, left at the tail-plane roots.
PICS 2 and 3. The gaps were filled with stretched sprue, melted into the gaps, and then sanded flush.
PIC 4. The venturi on the starboard side, made the same way as that on the opposite side.
PICS 5 and 5. This shows the areas sprayed white, including the entire top wings surfaces ( to check the joints), and the 'reverse' masks in place.
The roundels masks were cut from Tamiya-labelled 24 mm Kamoi tape, using a compass cutter, and are deliberately slightly smaller than the roundels decals, to ensure that there won't be a white outer rim when the decals are applied. The masks for the 'fighter bars' were carefully measured, using the kit's decals as a template, and cut from 10mm Tamiya masking tape.

I might get the overall Medium Sea Grey sprayed tonight, but I need to check that I have enough thinners to both spray with, and then clean the airbrush, as it's about to run out. If not, then I'll get some more tomorrow, and do the painting then. I'm not going out today, as it's p*ssing down !!
I'll be back when the first paint is on, and thanks again to all for your comments and interest.

Meteor NF.12 46 Sqn build 225.JPG
Meteor NF.12 46 Sqn build 226.JPG
Meteor NF.12 46 Sqn build 228.JPG
Meteor NF.12 46 Sqn build 231.JPG
Meteor NF.12 46 Sqn build 232.JPG
Meteor NF.12 46 Sqn build 235.JPG

Thanks Wojtek and Andy.

Going to give the painting a miss tonight - developed a heavy cold, with my nose dripping like a leaking tap, probably due to the sudden, and frequent, weather changes these last two days.
But I've sealed the edges of the 'fighter bars' with white enamel, to ensure there's no 'creep' beneath the tape, and I'll probably do a bit of work on the wing tanks and undercart, and spray the MSG tomorrow.

Have you caught a cold? Same here. Not too heavy but still sneezing and coughing. Get well soon Pal.

Thanks my friend. - just a constantly running nose and a bit of a thick head. Started today and got worse as the day went on.
With luck, it'll have cleared by tomorrow.

I see. I woke up this morning having sore throat. Initially I was seemed to get control over that but all got worse in the same way your cold did. .I hate when the weather is of the kind like this week. Cold , very cold and then hot suddenly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back