Mitsubishi A6M8 CGI Project

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Great stuff, Shinpachi-san. I agree with Dave. I have been around a couple of Zeros and have actually done a small amount of work on one, but you are giving us all a perspective on the engineering and thought that went into making the Zero.

Thank you very much, Lucky, GG, Aaron and Eric for your many compliments toward my small work.
They sound too much for me:oops:

The canopy had a stopper with spring inside before it jammed.
Once lifted, the canopy could slide to the next hole to stop.
Thanks for your good question, Aaron.
You are a true engineer:)

A6M8_19image04RS.JPG

This is an original illustration introduced in 1944.
The lock could be released from outside too.

Even at the time, few would have paid attention to the rail cross section - why it was loose sideward:)

Stopper.JPG

It may have been to keep the canopy from becoming wedged in and stuck in place. If the guide wheels run along the side of the track closest to the cockpit this would work. Even if the cockpit gets a little off track it won't get jammed with the outside part of the track having been widened enough to keep it from interfering with the movement of the wheels. I could be wrong though.

Thanks for your kind comments, Aaron, George and A4K.

Aaron, I have read your technical explanation three times to understand well.
Yes, yours is same as what I understood from my working.
Jiro Horikoshi, Zero designer, would not have wanted to break the streamline of fuselage.

I dare say Shin-sama that whence you're finished with this work, some-one/company would be 70%+ able to build actual replicas - possibly future-wise, with new radios, powerplant, weapons and relevant new materials tech, could be still a good basis for a 'cheaper than a jet' attack/training aircraft...

Thanks vB and Lewis!

Yes, my intention is to leave clue for somebody who wants to rebuild a Zero in the future.
I want to make it by myself, if possible, though:)

I'm starting tracing the wing ribs.
This will be a long way too.
I hope you all not to be bored.
Thanks!

Screenshot_ribs.JPG

Not bored at all, Shinpachi-san. It is an interesting piece of engineering and it takes a lot of patience and persistence to do what you are doing. Having been around a few Zeros (I have been around 4 different ones), it's great to see the inner workings.

Thanks for your so favorable comment again, Eric.

In fact, a friend of mine is managing a local small museum in Kyusyu.
He holds a set of Zero and another set of Ki-27.
He has no money enough to restore them but, in my impression, he could do it by himself once he has understood the structure.
My ongoing work is also a text for him.

Nor me!! Fantastic work, and the ultimate modelmaker's reference - arigatou Shinpachi for your attention to detail!

Thanks for your all so kind comments, Wayne, Aaron and A4K!

I've been cleaning my old cameras on Sunday.
Sometimes I suddenly want to touch real metals in my hands because I cannot do so in my CGI work on the PC monitor.

It has really refreshed me.
I'll be a hard CGI worker from tomorrow again:)

IMG_1281S.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back