P-47 'Bridge Buster', 1/48th scale, 9th Air Force Diorama.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks, Wayne and Andy.
I'm in the process of replacing the lost serial number decals, have masked the canopy, and preparing to start adding to the main gear legs. Still nothing worth showing yet but, given I can maintain the motivation, I hope to have some pics of something, at least, by tomorrow, given I don't fall asleep at the wrong end of the day - again !

Thanks for the good wished chaps, and apologies for the delay.
Finally got a little bit to show, after quite a few hours work!
As I was preparing to replace the lost serial number decals on the port fin, I couldn't help thinking something looked wrong. Numpty nuts here had got the I.D. stripe proportions wrong!
Instead of a 12 inch band on the fin, and 18 inch bands on the tail planes, I'd painted the bl**dy things the opposite way around!
So, out with the masking tape, and the corrections were made. The individual serial number decals were then applied, and again, I dropped a b*ll*ck, as I used the wrong style for the figure '2' - twice!
I'll put it down to this persistent cold and a thick head!
The offending decals were lifted, after copious applications of Micro Sol and water, and the correct style number 2 decals inserted into the two spaces. Once set and cleaned, a coat of Tamiya gloss clear was applied, and I will not be using this stuff again!
Even after a week, with the varnish apparently dry and hard, finger marks were seen, virtually 'burned' into the varnish, where I'd been handling the wings and fuselage whilst working on the pitot and bomb racks.
Some other detail work has been completed, and the model is almost ready for the matt clear coat. Apologies for the mixed colour cast in some of the pics.

PIC 1. The corrected I.D. bands, and renewed serial number. I also noticed that the rudder trim-tab actuator is moulded on the wrong side, but it's a bit late to correct this now, without causing damage.
PICS 2 and 3. The integrally moulded VHF antenna mast suffered during handling, but I'd intended to replace it anyway, as it should be positioned off-center, to port.
A pair of small holes were drilled in the correct position, and a new mast added, sourced from a left-over from the Academy P-38 kit, modified slightly. Once fully set, it will be cleaned, sanded lightly, and then painted Olive Drab.
PIC 4. The rather vague, integrally moulded pitot tube also suffered, so this was replaced by a length of aluminium tube and brass rod, and will be painted before the matt coat is applied.
PIC 5. The bombs provide in the kit will not be used, as a pair of 1,000 Pounders will be used, from the Academy P-47 kit. In order to provide a firm attachment to the pylons, brass pins have been fitted, and holes drilled in the bomb casings. The sway braces are also from the Academy kit, part of a bag of 'extras' which came with one of the Arii kits, and test fitting shows that these match-up nicely to the bombs. The sway braces and the bomb release beam will be painted next.
PICS 6 to 8. Canopy and windscreen masked, internal colour applied, with the inside of the frames also painted in the areas which will be visible, and exterior, bare metal finish brush painted. This will be toned-down slightly, and the visble adhesive residue from the tape removed, once the horrible Humbrol 'bright silver' has fully cured. External details will also be added. The 'Interior Green' on the frames looks a bit strange in the pics, due to the lighting and the green background.
Hopefully, I'll get some more done over the weekend. Thanks again for your interest and good wishes.

Attachments

• P-47 Build 185.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 127
  • P-47 Build 175.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 120
  • P-47 Build 179.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 123
  • P-47 Build 181.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 127
  • P-47 Build 183.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 120
  • P-47 Build 173.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 116
  • P-47 Build 174.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 121
  • P-47 Build 184.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 119
Looks very smart Terry. Your experience with the Tamiya gloss is exactly what I reported when I used this stuff. Looks cured but shows finger prints even after a week. Not a fan either.

I've just been reading through this Terry and I utterly amazed you have come out the other side with such a good looking build. Have a pat on the back me old mate, you deserve it.

Thanks very much Andy, Karl and Vic.
It's getting there, but I'm getting really p*ssed off with poor-quality materials. What's wrong with manufacturers these day? That Tamiya gloss is pure rubbish, and the Humbrol silver is like stove enamel - when it finally goes on !
For over 50 years Humbrol had a great silver paint, in their No.11, but it's now a greyish, semi metallic, matt gunge, so their so-called 'Bright Silver', No. 191 had to be used instead. It looks like coloured water before use, and dries with an almost 'crackle' finish.
Utter cr@p !
Anyway, I hope to get some more done tonight, including trying to improve the look of the silver canopy frames, so i should be able to post pics either later, or over the weekend.

Thanks very much chaps.
I've just spent nearly three hours attempting to apply a matt clear coat, using the Xtracrylic clear matt.
So far, I've ended up with a model with a satin finish, a totally clogged airbrush which took up most of the elapsed time, in order to remove the plasticised varnish from the nozzle, jet, venturi, needle and paint cup, blocked nasal passages, a sever headache, and a slightly frayed temper!
Bl**dy acryclic cr@p is the work of the Devil!
And anybody who thinks acrylics don't have a health hazard, compared to enamels, are wrong!
I've never had blocked airways or a headache when spraying enamels, or working with oils, and have used them for over 50 years without problems, but the few times I've used this acrylic rubbish, I've suffered for it.
I remember when this type of paint was first introduced for artist's use, in the early 1960's, when it was generally called 'Polymer paint', being a plastic-type polymer. It was cr@p then, a view held and vehemently expressed by my art tutor, and is no different now!
I know many will disagree with me, and many obtain acceptable results, but to me, it's a poor, second-rate substitute for real paint!

Anyway, once I've regained my composure, and decided what to do about the less than matt finish, if anything, I'll post some pics. Meanwhile, I'll have a coffee, a smoke, and try to proceed with some of the details parts and landing gear.
I might try to re-spray using Tamiya Flat Clear, but tests indicate that doesn't dry full matt either and, if it's anything like their gloss clear, I will not be impressed!

Users who are viewing this thread