P-47 'Bridge Buster', 1/48th scale, 9th Air Force Diorama. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks very much indeed chaps, and Paul, you're too kind. You got the letters correct, but in the wrong order - it should be modelling Dog !
This stupid shoulder seems to have got worse since I had the injections last week. It doesn't hurt as much, but it rattles, clunks and jumps about!
The darned thing had a couple of spasms when spraying the Olive Drab, but I figured out why, at least in this instance.
I recently bought another air brush, as my other one, although it works well, is getting rather worn around the paint cup seal, which is a gravity feed, adjustable and detachable, side-mounted cup. I'm keeping that for clear coats and simple jobs, and used the new 'brush for the first time on the P-47.
It's the same make as the other 'brush, but the cup is fixed, and top mounted.
So what's the problem?
Because of the angle of the cup, directly in front of the trigger, I can't operate the trigger as I normally do, with one stiff finger lying on the top, and the other stiff fingers having the hose connector and hose threaded through them - a very 'cack-handed' way of doing things, but the only way my knackered hands can do it these days. But with this cup being on top, it's in the way, and it prevents my fingers from flexing - not that they can flex much anyway - as it leans back, over the finger tip. Consequently, at certain angles, my entire right arm goes rigid, then the nerves spasm, making the arm and hand jump uncontrollably!
Because of this, it took almost two hours of uncomfortable and sometimes painful work, just to spray the top colour - and bear in mind almost half of the upper surfaces are black and white stripes, which were masked, so not a large area to paint!
Anyway, enough of my boring problems - bottom line is, I got the Olive Drab sprayed, and next job is detail painting, a little subtle fading and weathering and panel line work, then a gloss clear coat.
The Olive Drab was mixed using Humbrol 163 Dark Green (Satin) and 29 Dark Earth (Matt) enamels, to provide a slightly faded, but still relatively dark, OD finish. The aircraft of this Group were still relatively new to the Theater at the time being depicted, so, unlike their 8th Air Force colleagues' kites, they hadn't enjoyed as long in our wonderful British weather (we don't have a climate in mainland Britain, only weather!).
The pics show how it looks so far, and there's a tiny bit of retouching to do here and there.
Thanks again for the wonderful encouragement, support and interest - it really is appreciated, as the frustration of trying to do what was once second nature is sometimes hard to accept.

Attachments

• P-47 Build 129.jpg
    P-47 Build 129.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 172
  • P-47 Build 132.jpg
    P-47 Build 132.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 135
  • P-47 Build 134.jpg
    P-47 Build 134.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 149
  • P-47 Build 137.jpg
    P-47 Build 137.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 139
Have said it before, but it can be said again old boy, inspirational work, inspirational work indeed!

What I know 'Kelso' from and 'Bob Kelso' from is;

'Robert "Bob" Kelso, M.D., is a fictional character played by Ken Jenkins in the American comedy-drama Scrubs...'

Well, Eff It!
You still do a better job that I!
Fine work and many more years to you!
And I mean that whole heartily, Carry on, Sir!

Wow! Thanks very much indeed chaps! I wasn't expecting such praise for such a straightforward paint job!
Didn't get any more done today, as i had unexpected visitors taking up my time ! Hoping to get the touch-up and subtle paint wear/fading done tonight - might have some pics later.
Then I suppose I'd better start messing about with my ideas for making the Sommerfeld Tracking, for the dispersal. If that doesn't work out as planned and envisaged, the diorama idea is stuffed!

Can't quite see the detail old chap, but it looks something like the Sommerfeld stuff. It was basically very like wire netting, or 'chain link' fencing, in rolls, which was laid out, tensioned, and picketed via wire ropes threaded through the sections, then pegged along the edges. Rolls of it can often be seen in the background in photos of ALG's in the UK and Normandy.
I'll be using some fine, nylon netting, the type used in wedding veils and so on, which I've used in the past to make camouflage nets. Getting it to stay taught, over the scenic grass and earth materials, is going to be the tricky part!

Robert Taylor's painting in my sig depicts the tracking. In his narrative about the painting, he explained how he got it all wrong at first until someone looking at the unfinished work pointed out the correct dimensions of the sheets. Here's a drawing of the stuff.

chap14-5.gif

Looks great from up here on the mountain Terry(if you can see through the snow storms) One thing I noticed on your build was the camera port and intake you made on the starboard wing. I will correct that when I get home. Hope the shoulder settles down.

Geo

Thanks Andy. I have a similar drawing, along with those for the Marsden matting and PSP. I used to have a short length of Sommerfeld, and two, five feet lengths of PSP, cut from one single 'plank', strapped to the rack on the roof of my Land Rover, for use in case of getting bogged on soft ground.
Well, more progress, with the first stages of slight weathering, paint wear, dirt and panel lines done, along with painting the gun barrel access covers, lower windscreen frame, and the rudder trim tab.
Next step is to give the model a gloss clear coat, followed by decals, and then a little more in the way of gentle weathering, stains etc.
Jan, I ha a look at that PE Sommerfeld track stuff, and checked the 'Flightpath' web-site too. The dimensions aren't given, but I think I'd probably need two sheets which, at £12.50 each, plus shipping, are a bit steep, considering the total cost of the project to date has been the cost of the paint used!
I'll experiment with the netting I originally thought of using, as I think I can at least make a reasonable representation. It's a pity the dispersal points weren't PSP, like the runway at Headcorn (Lashenden), as I have enough of that in injection-moulded plastic form!
Anyway, here's the pics, and I might have more to show tomorrow.

Attachments

• P-47 Build 142.jpg
    P-47 Build 142.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 116
  • P-47 Build 140.jpg
    P-47 Build 140.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 129
  • P-47 Build 143.jpg
    P-47 Build 143.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 133
  • P-47 Build 146.jpg
    P-47 Build 146.jpg