Post your stash!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

But this is a true modelling. There is no reason to rush.

Can't complain Obi Wan Little.... Still have those tanks posted in April when visiting my parents, still, that's not all....missing a few vehicles and anti tank guns etc., and two 1/48 Hasegawa P-51D's....:oops:

So Dwight where were you at for Katrina to steal your old stash?and Charles I have over a 150+ kits and two more coming next week ;).It's called having a choice when you need it times will get tough and it will be there to get me through if not I have another 30 yrs I hope to finish them.Cheers Kevin

So Dwight where were you at for Katrina to steal your old stash?and Charles I have over a 150+ kits and two more coming next week ;).It's called having a choice when you need it times will get tough and it will be there to get me through if not I have another 30 yrs I hope to finish them.Cheers Kevin

Kevin,

It was obvious from the storm track that Katrina was going to sweep just east of the downtown area of New Orleans (which it did) and that would have put the storm right over our neighborhood (or VERY close). We threw the 5 cats into their carriers, grabbed our important papers and medication and loaded it all into my wife's hatchback and left New Orleans two days before the storm hit. We drove up to Arkansas, just a little bit east of Little Rock, and checked into a motel and then started watching the news. The house had very little wind damage but the levy failures pushed 9 feet of water into the house and it was nasty brackish water at that. Plus the drainage pumps for the city went off line so the water didn't drain out for almost a month.

Any kits that I had already finished were totally fragged - they ended getting crushed or broken when they got tossed off the furniture which overturned due to the rising water in the house. One completed kit managed to survive that but the paint job both inside and out was totally ruined from the salt water. It would have taken more time to clean it up than it would have to rebuild them. The kits that were still boxed were a different issue. What happened was that the cardboard in the kits boxes actually dissolved after being submerged in water for that long. All of the kits already had the exterior shrink wrap removed which probably would have saved them had I left it on. Since they were stored in a closet along with several boxes of paperback books which also turned to sludge, it was virtually impossible to sort thru the jumbled mess and extracate the kits.

What complicated matters even further was that by the time we got back to the house and were able to get inside, the heat and huumidity along with all the water turned the inside of the house into a toxic mold factory. The walls and ceiling looked like a tiedyed mold-a-thon - orange, green, black, blue and grey mold all over the place. You couldn't spend more than an hour inside the house before your eyes started burning. So we grabbed stuff that wasn't damaged by the water (crystal, china, stuff like that) and loaded as much as we could into the car and headed out. BY this time we had left Arkansas and were staying with friends east of Dallas Texas.

That's probably more info than you wanted. :lol:

Understand Dwight. I was lucky during the storm least amount of wind damage on the block and our block got water to 1/8 of a mile to the N and 1/3 to S.We live on just about the highest point of the penisula.Kevin

Jeez KG, you all had a rough time of it. I admire your positve attitude though! :thumbleft:

A bloke i went to school with had a constuction company in New Orleans, he lost everything too.

Jeez KG, you all had a rough time of it. I admire your positve attitude though! :thumbleft:

A bloke i went to school with had a constuction company in New Orleans, he lost everything too.

What was the name of the company? New Orleans wasn't that big of a place to begin with - I might have heard of it.

We didn't lose everything but pretty close to it. Furniture and electronics were a total wrote off. There were some things that were salvagable however. The most amazing thing that we saved were several of my wife's watercolor paintings. One of them was framed SO well (behind glass ) that the painting wasn't damaged in the least and it had fallen off the wall and was submerged under water. THAT one really amazed us. In fact, a LOT of her artwork managed to survive with little or no damage because it had been framed and matted professionally. We had to reframe and rematt some stuff of course.

Fortunately our insurance company didn't try to screw us like some other companies did to other folks. It was more a matter of just waiting for the adjusters to crunch the numbers. Some folks in Mississippi got REALLY screwed over.

Understand Dwight. I was lucky during the storm least amount of wind damage on the block and our block got water to 1/8 of a mile to the N and 1/3 to S.We live on just about the highest point of the penisula.Kevin

Trying to picture exactly where that was. Are you up near Waveland or Pass Christian?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back