Tiger I. Kursk Armor Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ah! I see one has fitted the turret to the superstructure, and the latter to the lower hull. Jolly good show old boy!
Nice work Glenn !

Thanks for clearing up the terminology Terry. :)

I filled and sanded the upper superstructure turret, and installed the lower hull sides. Turret is just sitting there, not glued. I still have to remove some ejector marks and the lovely number Airfix molded in plane sight. (Note the first picture) Why they chose this side to place these scars wile leaving the other side perfectly smooth I haven't a clue. :confused:

No painting this weekend as my compressor still hasn't come in. :evil: I am quickly coming to the point of a work stoppage with this build also. ](*,)

Might have to start a third entry into the Group Build!

P6102213.JPG
P6102214.JPG

Last edited:
Heck! I'd forgotten how small 1/76th scale AFV's are!
In that scale, and airbrush would be overkill! Have you got any of those good, old fashioned sticks with hair on the end? One or two of those would do a great job!

Yes guys, it is a tiny little thing! :lol:

Heck! I'd forgotten how small 1/76th scale AFV's are!
In that scale, and airbrush would be overkill! Have you got any of those good, old fashioned sticks with hair on the end? One or two of those would do a great job!

Are these old Airfix armor kits really 1/76th scale Terry? It does look small for 1/72nd even though that's what the box said. I am going to try to use an airbrush. I have a Sotar 20/20 ultra fine and will experiment to see how it works out. If not I can always do it the old fashioned way! everything's waiting on my new compressor now. Monday at the earliest now.:(

Last edited:
The original kits were 1/76th scale Glenn, and, AFAIK, many still are. However, that one looks more 'refined' than the original Airfix Tiger, and could be a new tool from Heller, or possibly the old (late 1970's) Esci kit, which were 1/72nd and very nicely detailed. The tracks will be the possible giveaway as to the age.

More work last night and I am now at a stand still until the new compressor gets here.

Picture 1 The front view port bore no resemblance to the picture Igor posted (in the background) so I reworked it with a strip of plastic card. I also drilled out the machine gun.

Picture 2 The exhaust stacks added. These needed quite a bit of clean-up.

Picture 3 The commander's cupola and second hatch on the turret.

Picture 4 Size comparison with the tiny XF-85

Pictures 5 6 The cannon assembled and drilled out. short camera depth of field made it imposable to keep it all in focus in 1 pic.

Picture 7 Assembled and waiting for paint.

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
7.JPG

Last edited:
Very nice work Glenn. This should turn out to be a tiny triumph methinks.
Just looking at the shot deflector you added to the driver's vision slot, the exhausts and the commander's cupola, I'd say that was a mid-production Tiger 1 Ausf E. - which I'm afraid came later than Kursk. Is there ar a choice of commander's cupolas? If so, the rest is very easily modified, and I can get some pics etc showing the Pfiefel exhaust system.

Your starting to scare me now Chris! :lol:

Terry, there was the only option for the cupola. Let me see the picture and I'll see if I can do something if it isn't too late. Does the exhaust have those 1/2 can shape guards over them? I've see them in some pictures and was considering adding them.

I'll dig out some pics and post tomorrow (Monday). The commander's cupola was the early 'straight' type, as in the profile Igor posted. The Pfiefel exhaust had the filter 'cans', and pipework along the top of the engine decking. The road wheels should be the 'dished' type, easily distinguished from the late production steel tyred road wheels, which look 'flat',with an inner rim and obvious wheel nuts, like the King Tiger's wheels.
It should be fairly easy to make a new cupola, as it was basically a straight-sided cylinder.

ScannedImage.jpg
Sounds like I can make a new cupola, and I can probably make the exhaust cans, but here is what I have for the road wheels. They don't look like the ones in Igor's profile, But I think I'm going to have to live with them as I think modifying them would be next to imposable, their so d*mn small.

Last edited:
You nearly passed this one through without my noticing Glenn, nice to see the Tiger and you look to have everything under control.................almost!...........

:hotsun: :hotsun:

Hi Glenn! I hope these drawings will clarify a little the features of early Tigers and differences between early and late models...
(Source:Squadron-Signal Publication)

Attachments

• r_01.jpg
    r_01.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 94
  • r_02.jpg
    r_02.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 93
  • r_03.jpg
    r_03.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 103
  • r_04.jpg