Tiger I. Kursk Armor Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Excellent Igor!!! That looks looks like just what I need. Thanks a million!!

I should be able to either modify the existing commander's cupola or make a new one. The exhaust system on the back shouldn't be a problem, but the road wheels will be. The ones that came with the kit are definitely late model, and there so small I don't think I can modify them with out making them look worse. I could paint the rim black to replicate the rubber on the earlier wheels and maybe sand off the bolts, but I can't see how I can get that dished effect.

Last edited:
Excellent Igor!!! That looks looks like just what I need. Thanks a million!!

I should be able to either modify the existing commander's cupola or make a new one. The exhaust system on the back shouldn't me a problem, but the road wheels will be. The ones that came with the kit are definitely late model, and there so small I don't think I can modify them with out making them look worse. I could paint the rim black to replicate the rubber on the earlier wheels and maybe sand off the bolts, but I can't see how I can get that dished effect.

If you you had your heart set on being completely authentic you could go out and get another kit that has the wheels you need. For example my Dragon Ferdinand has the wheels you need.

Thats a thought Dirk, but I've found that my Tiger is actually 1/76th scale so wheels in 1/72nd would be too big. It would be a crime to buy and part out a nice kit like yours just to improve an old $4 kit like mine. I'd rather put time into it scratch-building. I think I'll have to live with the wheels I've got and try to make them look a little better with paint and maybe a little sanding and concentrate on correcting the exhaust and commander's cupola , and a couple of other things I saw on the drawings and photos Igor posted.

Thats a thought Dirk, but I've found that my Tiger is actually 1/76th scale so wheels in 1/72nd would be too big. It would be a crime to buy and part out a nice kit like yours just to improve an old $4 kit like mine. I'd rather put time into it scratch-building. I think I'll have to live with the wheels I've got and try to make them look a little better with paint and maybe a little sanding and concentrate on correcting the exhaust and commander's cupola , and a couple of other things I saw on the drawings and photos Igor posted.

Nice work Igor, and saved me a job!
Glenn, if you sand off the wheel bolts, by the time the wheels are painted, especially with the green and redbrown stripes, and a bit of mud added, they will look acceptable I think. The main thing is the cupola and exhausts.

That's my plan Terry, Sand paper and a lot of mud! Scratch building all the bits for the exhaust should be fun, I like doing stuff like that and don't get the chance too often. When I was in 8th grade and penneyless I made a new aircraft out of parts of a 1/72 Hinkle 111 and B-25 and a 1/48th DC-3, P-38, and P-40. Turned out as an early jet attack aircraft and is still on the shelf covered with dust. I should post a picture just for fun.

Double post!

The server is really p*ssing me off today!! Its doing the same thing it did before it completely went down last time!!!

Last edited:
I'm getting the same, and so is Jan. Very slow, or no page loading, and double posts!
I'd like to see that combination of kits!
I'll see if I have any detail pics of the Pfiefel system etc, probably have.

Glenn

I had said virtually the same thing as Terry but the server issues prevented it from being posted. In this scale it will hardly be noticed so I wouldn't go crazy over it. As long as the paint scheme and to a lesser degree the exhausts are right it should look great.

Here you go Glenn, hope these help a bit. The first four pics are scanned from 'The Tiger Tank' by Roger Ford, the last two are from 'The Encyclopedia of German Tanks and AFV's of WW2' by Chamberlain/Doyle.
Note that in the last pic, the tank is running on the naroow 'transport' tracks, with the outer road wheels removed. This was done to get them onto railroad flat cars.
Now, can someone put a coin in the gas meter? I think the forum has run out of power - nearly fell asleep waiting for the 'Go Advanced' page to load!!!

Attachments

• Can Jan 312.jpg
    Can Jan 312.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 99
  • Can Jan 313.jpg
    Can Jan 313.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 95
  • Can Jan 314.jpg
    Can Jan 314.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 89
  • Can Jan 315.jpg
    Can Jan 315.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 90
  • Can Jan 316.jpg
    Can Jan 316.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 99
  • Can Jan 317.jpg
    Can Jan 317.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 84
OOps! Missed one! Here it is.

Attachments

• Can Jan 314.jpg
    Can Jan 314.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Beautiful Terry!! I'm already getting ideas for the exhaust. This is going to be fun! I've never scratch built this small before except maybe little bits in cockpits! I'm going out of town Thursday on vacation :smileymouse: (guess where) so that gives me a little time to get something done.

Here they are. The mine launching one I thought looked cool. They are from "GERMAN MILITARY VEHICLE CATALOG" by Doyle

Attachments

• 102_6911.JPG
    102_6911.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 76
  • 102_6910.JPG
    102_6910.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 86
  • 102_6909.JPG
    102_6909.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 86
  • 102_6908.JPG
    102_6908.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 81
  • 102_6907.JPG
    102_6907.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 80
  • 102_6916.JPG
    102_6916.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 79
  • 102_6915.JPG
    102_6915.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 80
  • 102_6914.JPG
    102_6914.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 74
  • 102_6913.JPG
    102_6913.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 86
  • 102_6912.JPG
    102_6912.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 80
  • 102_6917.JPG
    102_6917.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 81
  • 102_6918.JPG
    102_6918.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 76
P6142237.JPG
Decided to give the exhaust heat shield a shot before dinner.

I decided that thin aluminum would make the best material so I needed a can.

None in the recycling bin so I had to force myself to have a beer for the sacrificial can. :rolleyes:

I'm pleased with the result and will be looking for another excuse to have a beer after dinner. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back