Unofficial GB for Ships?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Oh boy, now that sounds tasty. Sounds like there's some interest and a wide variety of potential entries here. I see no sense in limiting this in scope or era and indeed in time limit so we could take as long as interest remains alive. Personally, I'd like to get my two GB 20 builds finished over the next few weeks and then, after that, I only have one model in my stash that fits the themes of GB 21 and 22 so it's a good time for me to start on a nautical project.

How about I make a start date of Feb 1 and anyone can jump in whenever they want with whatever they want?

Sounds good Andy. Is it going to be set up like the Dora GB, all on one thread? That seemed to get confusing at times.

I pulled down and took a look at my four stack destroyer tonight. A little more done and a little less damage than I remember. Not sure it would qualify.

Attachments

• P1130584.JPG
    P1130584.JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 65
  • P1130585.JPG
    P1130585.JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 75
The only reason I did the Doras build that way was because I have no way to create a subforum but if everyone prefers to run their own separate threads, I won't lose sleep over that. It would be tidy if a mod could start a subforum under the GB heading for everyone to post their separate threads in that case.

"Qualifies" is a non-issue for this build Glenn as there are no rules!

Oh boy, now that sounds tasty. Sounds like there's some interest and a wide variety of potential entries here. I see no sense in limiting this in scope or era and indeed in time limit so we could take as long as interest remains alive. Personally, I'd like to get my two GB 20 builds finished over the next few weeks and then, after that, I only have one model in my stash that fits the themes of GB 21 and 22 so it's a good time for me to start on a nautical project.

How about I make a start date of Feb 1 and anyone can jump in whenever they want with whatever they want?

Can I enter my 1/2 done Oregon?
I also have a U.S.S. Harriet Lane rebuild. Started out life as a U.S.R.C. (Fore-runner of the U.S.C.G.) ship, then drafted into the U.S.N.
She was the first ship to fire a shot in our Civil War. Later was captured by the Confederates and renamed C.S.S. Lavina.
She ended life as a merchant vessel, the Elliot Richie.

Can I enter my 1/2 done Oregon?
I also have a U.S.S. Harriet Lane rebuild. Started out life as a U.S.R.C. (Fore-runner of the U.S.C.G.) ship, then drafted into the U.S.N.
She was the first ship to fire a shot in our Civil War. Later was captured by the Confederates and renamed C.S.S. Lavina.
She ended life as a merchant vessel, the Elliot Richie.

Default answer to any such question as "Can I enter a....." is yes!

The only rules I can think of so far is that there is no judging and no icons.

My kinda rules! I declare myself the winner because at 4 feet plus mine will be the longest (I think - unless someone does the 1/200 Missouri).

....This is a great idea.
Aircraft kits I tend to collect.....ships I build. So I lurk around here and admire the work, learn ever more....but keep on with the ship projects.

Last year finished a 1:72 Flower Corvette, done as an rc conversion. Pics attached. This took 6 years, on and off...She is the HMCS Fennel, a Canadian one. The Revell kit doesn't use all the parts on the original Matchbox sprues, but the Fennel did and the camo appealed. Many of the kit parts replaced with my own brass and soldering, bags of plastic strip and white metal and etch from other places. You can buy almost the entirety of this kit in etch replacement...of the plastic you use only the 4 hull parts, the 2 halves of the funnel and the rudder blank. Making a working model means it has to be basically durable, has to come apart, ....I haven't worked out how to make working rigging yet....

The sub behind is a 1:72 Song Class Chinese diesel/ electric.

Current projects: Having done the Flower, got a bit more scratch build ambitious and now well into a Deans Marine Tribal Class destroyer, 1904 at 1:96. Hand scribing the decks....assembling the vac form ventilators and boats.....bag after bag of white metal and resin to be cleaned up.

Other project is a 1:32 Holland sort of a bit semiscale....but fun.
Fennel_A.jpg
Fennel_B.jpg

Mmmmm gives me a reason to do one of my 1/700 Japanese subjects....

Jan, Trumpeter Hornet CV 8 would be your starting point for CV 5 it's a big box that's for sure I have one here, belongs to my son....on the other hand I have CV 10 for myself! :D

I reckon we should bite the bullet and create four build threads. not competition, but with a time limit of say 1 year. the four threads I would suggest are:

Sub forum in the modelling section (needs a mod I think)

Ship building

categories

pre WWI
WWI
WWII
Post war

I would set these thrreads up myself but i really dont have a good idea of how I should go about it

If we get the enthusiasm and participation we could think about a competition, but not for now.

How do people feel about this suggestion

Sounds very good. But I'm not sure about Horse's opinion. Just I was thinking about making two sub-sections, one for the official GB ( all GB projects done so far and running currently for aviation ) and the unofficial GB one for all non aviation topics and not official ones.

I'm with you Wojtek. I don't see us having enough subjects to justify 4 separate threads. Also, some ships like the Missouri spanned several eras. I like the idea of having one subforum for this unofficial GB in the in the Group Build section.

I'd love to do Tito's Yacht, except I have no idea about ships :D

I'm assuming Tito's "Galeb" would be a RAMB model ship, but other than that, no idea on the modifications and changes to her :D I know she was converted to a very luxurious pleasure yacht :)

I like your ideas Wojtek, nice and simple with open house on what ship you enter and plenty of time to work on it…………………like years!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back