Unofficial GB for Ships?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Can I make a couple of suggestions?

Ship building is different to aircraft. You aircraft guys do "builds". They are usually stunningly skillful....I lurk here to look at them. I'm always astonished at how quickly they're done.

Ship models are a much slower thing....there is just so much detail at any scale 1:72. The 'kits' are nothing like what the Chinese are now making for tanks and aircraft. But it depends on your attitude to what you get. I'm excited by the endless bags of rough, flashed white metal and resin. There's all the bits here to make a 1904 destroyer.. Got all the vac form parts assembled. Pulling the fibreglass hull into shape, scribing the deck.

I'd love to do a build.

So, I'd suggest that any serious forum has to be long term.

Regards
i

....Ship building is different to aircraft.

I can agree to a certain extent only. All depends on what stuff you are going to use. If it's a polistyrene , injection kit , its assembling runs with the same way and techinques we use for models of planes. The problem can appear when making it from scratch. But even though , reules and techinques being used are still the same for all models.

Here a couple of shots of Sir Francis Drake's Golden Hind galleon that is still under construction. All decks and other parts, I have collected so far, were made of wooden sticks for ice-cream. The main construction of the hull has been made of wood I got from boxes for oranges. However the hull "skeleton" has to be replaced with parts made of another wood because the one from the boxes appeared to be too pliable.

Golden Hind_1.jpg

Golden Hind_2.jpg

Golden Hind_3.jpg

Golden Hind_4.jpg

Golden Hind_5.jpg

Golden Hind_6.jpg

That's some great work Wojtek! Hope you didn't eat all that ice cream at once!

So, I'd suggest that any serious forum has to be long term.i

If it's set up as a suborum then it can be open for anyone to add their builds whenever they want and however long they want. So Wojtek, is the subforum something you are going to try to set up?

That's some great work Wojtek! Hope you didn't eat all that ice cream at once!

So Wojtek, is the subforum something you are going to try to set up?

Of course I ddn't but I know a nice girl working in a shop with ice-cream. :D

As far as the sub-forum is concerned... I could do that but I'm not allowed to do it officially. Because the forum was set up with a new server and upgraded I want to wait for our Admin and ask him for doing that.

Some great subjects here guys!

I like the 'open end' build concept too, I couldn't commit to a fixed term project at the moment.

For Terry, this is the HMS Halifax so far (my first ship model).

STA54250.JPG

STA54251.JPG

STA54252.JPG

STA54253.JPG

Evan mentioned this build was going on and like to throw in my 1/64 S.S. Baltimore I started this week.I am figuring about one year to get her done.

Attachments

• balitmore (800 x 600).jpg
    balitmore (800 x 600).jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 93
  • balitmore 002 (800 x 600).jpg
    balitmore 002 (800 x 600).jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 82
  • balitmore 001 (800 x 600).jpg
    balitmore 001 (800 x 600).jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 104
And Wotjek that is quite impressive!My neighor down the street does all his from scratch and plans and would appreciate the the work/efforts.

Great stuff guys. Looks like we have a lot of interest. Let's see how Wojtek does with Horse on the subforum and try to kick it off in a couple of weeks.

THX Gents for all these kind words. :oops:

I would like to ask you though.... woud you like to have the Unofficial GB sub-forum for ships only or it would be good if there were sub-sections for Ships, Tanks/Vehicles and Others ? I think a such folder tree could caver almost all non aviation threads.

THX Gents for all these kind words. :oops:

I would like to ask you though.... woud you like to have the Unofficial GB sub-forum for ships only or it would be good if there were sub-sections for Ships, Tanks/Vehicles and Others ? I think a such folder tree could caver almost all non aviation threads.

That might be a good idea, breaking it up, that is.

I think a good way to do it would be to have a single sub-section for un-official group builds and have everyone post their threads under that, the name of the thread beginning with name of the group build and then the description of the build such as: "Ships Un-Official GB - BB-39 USS Arizona 1/426 scale"

I'm liking this idea even more and Wojtek my lollypop fiend, that galleon is jus magnificent, my hat off to you my friend. Maybe we should all start saving the lollypop sticks and sent them to you for next Christmas.

One thought though, with the un-official GB sub-section, we should keep it a simple as possible.

Some great subjects here guys!

I like the 'open end' build concept too, I couldn't commit to a fixed term project at the moment.

For Terry, this is the HMS Halifax so far (my first ship model).

View attachment 252147

View attachment 252148

View attachment 252149

View attachment 252150

First ship model?
You are my hero! I didn't tackle one of those "heavy rigged" devils for a long time!
Take it slow and easy, do the "stay" lines first, then the "running" rig. Sometimes the instructions will have you doing both at the same time, this is folly. Always do the standing rigging, (or "stay" lines) before any others.

I am sure that many of us have modeling interests other than aircraft.
I remember many years ago being fascinated by the "Visible Woman" model. Some of the parts weren't "visible" enough to suit me, but that is another story.
I do ships as well as A.F.V.'s and figures. I do murals on doors also.
Been known to do jackets, jeans, tire covers, vans,....
Decoupage.
Body painting. (But only that one week-end).
Lead pencil portraits, pastel portraits,...
The list goes on.
I have made money from all these things.
(I know I am rambling here)
Point is, I am a freekin' artist. and the mood has to be on me. Lately, it hasn't.
Nothing.
I have been content to do nada. Zip. Nichts.
For over two months now.
I need a muse. Or a swift kick in the @ss.

I am sure that many of us have modeling interests other than aircraft.
I remember many years ago being fascinated by the "Visible Woman" model. Some of the parts weren't "visible" enough to suit me, but that is another story.
I do ships as well as A.F.V.'s and figures. I do murals on doors also.
Been known to do jackets, jeans, tire covers, vans,....
Decoupage.
Body painting. (But only that one week-end).
Lead pencil portraits, pastel portraits,...
The list goes on.
I have made money from all these things.
(I know I am rambling here)
Point is, I am a freekin' artist. and the mood has to be on me. Lately, it hasn't.
Nothing.
I have been content to do nada. Zip. Nichts.
For over two months now.
I need a muse. Or a swift kick in the @ss.

And this could be just the kick you need!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back