1/48th scale Hurricane MkIIc, 136 Sqn, India, 1943.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks very much Darryl.
The model is now gloss coated, and I've been working on hollowing-out the exhausts whilst the varnish is drying. The resin wheels arrived today, so they can be prepared, and also a vac-form canopy, although I'd already moulded one anyway.
The pic shows the work underway on the exhausts, in this case the 'fishtail' type, supplied as alternative parts in this old kit.

Attachments

• BC Hurricane 151.jpg
    BC Hurricane 151.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 83
Thanks Max and Andy.
I'm currently sorting out suitable decals, as this aircraft would have had the 'intermediate' type of roundels, as used before the introduction of the two-tone blue SEAC roundels at the end of June 1943. The fuselage roundel was a small 'C1' type, with narrow yellow outer ring, but without the red centre disc. It's possible that the upper wing roundels were similar, but might have been a smaller 'B Type' with the red overpainted in white. I've found some old 1/72 scale 'C1's, which will be fine if the decals don't break up, as the centre can be painted out, and I can adapt some others for the upper wings.
Although I've identified the serial number, I now have the opposite problem to that encountered on the Spit MkVIII, in as much as the individual code letter is not known! (The Squadron codes, HM, were not displayed at this time.)
I'll probably use either 'B' or 'O', and have to make the serial numbers, or use individual letter/number decals, and make some stencils. The 'Woodpecker' nose art I'll probably hand paint.
More soon, once I get something done to show.

i can't believe just how much detail you manage to get in Terry just a fantastic job,in the right photo set up as the real thing,your the best

That's very kind of you to say so mate, thanks very much! Even after nearly fifty years of modelling (off and on) it makes a difference and is very much appreciated!

Wonderful\ work Terry!! Your hands must be killing you after that job on the exhaust stacks. I did the exhaust stacks for my P-40 build last night and my fingers still hurt!

Thanks Glenn and Woody. Yep, both hands hurt, as I had to hold the exhausts whilst drilling and filing, because the table vice wouldn't hold them at the required angle. And I only drilled my finger twice!!
Most of the decals are now on, with just a couple of stencils and the serial numbers to do. The fuselage roundels are from a 1/72nd scale Hurricane kit, and are at least 40 years old! Both these, and the upper wing roundels, will have the red centres over-painted in white. The upper wing roundels have a dark outline, due to register during printing, but this actually helps, as it represents the original thin yellow outer ring, which would have been painted out with fresh blue paint. This period was one of change, where the red in the roundels was found to be confusing with the Japanese markings. Various changes were tried, with a compromise being made, using smaller blue/white roundels similar to those of the RAAF, and a yellow outer ring, originally on the upper wing and fuselage roundels, but later on the fuselage only. These were eventually replaced, in late June 1943, by the blue and 'off white' (actually blue and pale blue) official SEAC roundels, being smaller again on fighters.
The individual code letter 'O' came from the spare decals files, and started life as a 'Q' before being trimmed.
The required painting will be done once the decals, now sealed under a coat of 'Future', have fully set, then the matt clear coat will be applied. The it'll be time to continue with construction.
More soon, and thanks again for all the nice comments.

Attachments

• BC Hurricane 157.jpg
    BC Hurricane 157.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 82
  • BC Hurricane 153.jpg
    BC Hurricane 153.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 92
  • BC Hurricane 154.jpg
    BC Hurricane 154.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 87
Thanks Darryl. Got the roundel centres overpainted, and the final stencils in place, and I should have the serial numbers done and the matt clear coat on by tonight. Pics later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back