1/48th scale Hurricane MkIIc, 136 Sqn, India, 1943.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks very much chaps.
Max, that's due to fuel evaporation, because of the heat and humidity .... er.....well, sounds good anyway !!

I say Terry for a man with arthritis that woodpecker looks fantastic!!I to like this morso than the Spit might probably be due to less weathering I guess but it sure does look nice Sir ;) Cheers

Thanks very much Kevin. I've got a bit more done - just waiting for the undercart and doors to set fully, then I can move the model off the jig, fit the wheels and take some pics. Hopefully have some pics tonight, if I can stay awake, or tomorrow at latest.

Thanks very much Bill and Cory.
A bit more progress, although not without a bit of hassle. As I suspected, setting the undercarriage legs in the 'down' position was a bit difficult, as they're designed to be retractable, but I got there in the end!
PIC 1. Shows the gear legs fixed, with the braces and doors fitted, and the 'True Details' resin wheels painted, weathered and fitted. I forgot to paint the tyre 'slip' marks, so this will be done later.
PIC 2. The windscreen frames re-painted, and the screen joints sealed to the fuselage with PVA, before being retouched and matt coated.
PIC 3. The prop after slight re-profiling, has now been painted and has had the data stencils and 'Rotol' logo hand-painted, but is yet to be toned-down a touch.
PICS 4 and 5. How the model looks to date.
Next step is to make and fit the radiator bath braces, and the shutter and actuators, followed by the retractable step and vac-formed canopy. Then it's down to the small details, before making the display base.
Thanks yet again for your continued interest and kind remarks.

Attachments

• BC Hurricane 193.jpg
    BC Hurricane 193.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 70
  • BC Hurricane 184.jpg
    BC Hurricane 184.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 67
  • BC Hurricane 189.jpg
    BC Hurricane 189.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 69
  • BC Hurricane 192.jpg
    BC Hurricane 192.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 71
  • BC Hurricane 186.jpg
    BC Hurricane 186.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 71
looks good question on the tires what other colors besides black and silver did you use to weather them. and would it be the same for a navy plane?. Also how big are the yellow id marks on the propeller, I have the smallest masking tape Tamiya makes would that be about the right size for the stripes?.

Thanks Tim and Andy.
Tim, the wheels (and gear legs) were painted in Humbrol No.56 'Aluminium', with a very lightly applied dark wash to bring out the detail. The tyres were painted with a mix of Matt Black, Matt White and a touch of Dark Earth, and, when dry, a light dry-brush of Dark Earth on the tread areas and the wheel hubs to simulate dust etc.
On a Navy aircraft, the tyres can be done the same way, to simulate the rubber, but the colour of the tread area would of course depend on what surface the aircraft was on. The wheel hub colour would depend on the aircraft type, and possibly it's overall paint scheme.
The yellow prop tips were four inches deep on the real aircraft, which equates to 2.08mm in this scale (1/48th scale), and these were brush-painted freehand.

Wow Terry , I can't believe what you have done to that old Monogram kit !!! It is by far the finest Hurricane model I have ever seen. I want to do a build of Terence Kelly's Hurricane from 258 Squadron as pictured on the cover of Kelly's book "Battle for Palembang" and you've built the perfect reference for me. Simply smashing Terry.

Greg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back