1/48th Spitfire Vc, 136 Sqn, Burma, 1943-44.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Wojtek, and Max Barbara ! The plain base should be with me this coming weekend, so after a few hours making the 'terrain', all it will need are the finishing touches to the model, and the brass title plate.

Thanks Hugh. I'll probably wait until the base is 'dressed' before finishing the final details, as I'll need to 'play around' with positioning the model - don't want to break any tiny parts !

Thanks for the explanation Terry. I used the Tamiya flatcoat for the first time on my Slovak 109 and was surprised that it actually seemed to add that dusty look whereas Testors Dullcoat dries completely transparent. A useful feature when trying to get that look but a little unnerving when you're not.

I will definitley use it on "Eddie's" Kittyhawk.

You're welcome Andy. A bit of experimenting should give a matt finish without the dusty look (as in the pics of the Spit after the first clear matt coat). It's just a case of mixing, trying it out on some painted scrap, then adjusting as required.

Well, it's 99% done, and it's now 01:10hrs, with still some things to do - and Max is collecting it at mid-day today (Friday) !
Bit of a delay as I didn't get the base-board until late Monday night, which then needed to have the frame stained and varnished (2 days), and then the ground work done in stages.
No problem, thought I, whilst that's all drying, I can get on with the final details of the model itself - wrong!
More f***ing problems with Humbrol paint refusing to dry have really slowed down the progress - thank you very ******* much Hornby products !!
Anyway, it just means getting up at sparrow's f@rt to complete the whole lot, and take the photos, so some time over the weekend, I'll post the final part of the build.
Have to admit, I'm not particularly impressed with where Tamiya put some of their sprue attachment points on some of the delicate parts, even though overall this is quite a nice kit.
Thanks again for your interest and kind remarks, it's very much appreciated, and I will get some pics posted in the next couple of days !

At last! All done, and pics ready before I anticipated.
I had a couple of minor problems, as described, and there was no way I could attach the scratch-built canopy release and jettison assembly, without causing damage, so regrettably, this has been omitted.

Attachments

• Bob Cross Spit V 138.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 110
  • Bob Cross Spit V 141.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 124
  • Bob Cross Spit V 140.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 117
  • Bob Cross Spit V 143.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 130
  • Bob Cross Spit V 144.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 111
  • Bob Cross Spit V 145.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 110
  • Bob Cross Spit V 146.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 120
Wow!! Missed this one Terry,another barnbuster there

About ten pages back aaron mentioned leaving the tin open awhile was he trying to say evap some of the thinner maybe?I have noticed of late how fast open thinner does evap thus leaving more pigment maybe?

While you bemoaned your painting in the pit using the brush I thought it gave the pit a natural wear look myself with discoloration being more natural.I did the a wood floorboard last night by brush over primer gray.I thought it looked to streaky at first but once position in the pit looked more natural and to scale effect

Anyway nice efforts all around there Terry you should just about be Spit out by now

Thanks very much indeed chaps ! just got back from an excellent lunch with Max and Barbara, who were pleased with the model. Might have to do one of Bob's 'victims' now - so might need to pick some brains re IJAF units!

Users who are viewing this thread