1st PLACE EXPERT: 1/48 Tamiya Messerschmitt Me 262 A-2a 9K+YH of 1/KG 51

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys. Paul, you'll be happy to know I'm returning to my 110 now that this is done. Thread will resume soon.

Thanks for the nice compliments guys. I think I am the only one in the advanced category - surprised there aren't others seeing some of the great work being done around here.

Bl**dy beautiful build mate! Hey! If you look at the 7th pic down, page 1, it looks like the '262 is smiling....!

I see that now that you mention it, Jan. I think it's more of a smirk, given the paint issues this thing threw at me! If it had a tongue, it would be sticking out!

Superb job Andy, very well done indeed.
BTW, what do you call the stuff you used as the basic covering for the base? I've been trying to get some in various colours from Iris at my Model Shop, but can't remember what it's bl**dy called! It's got a few trade names, but the basic, and a manufacturer name example, would set me on the right track. Thanks mate.

Terry, thanks for the kind words.

For the base, I started with a piece of 3/4" plywood and applied a thin coat of drywall compound (not sure what you call that in England). While still wet, I stuck in random clumps of old paint brush bristles and sprinkled on some "Talus (Rock Debris)" s/n C1270 Fine Buff made by a company called Woodland Scenics. These things represent small rocks and I pressed these into the still wet drywall compound. After the compound dried, I painted a light brown and, once that was dry, spinkled on 3 more products in a random pattern. These are all from Woodland Scenics and are:

Fine Turf Yellow Grass s/n T43
Fine Turf Burnt Grass s/n T44
Coarse Turf Burnt Grass T62

I got all the above at a model railroad shop. Once all that was down, I sprayed the works with a carpenter glue/water mixture from a pump type hairspray container generously donated by my wife.

Thanks Andy. It's the Coarse Turf! I know Woodland Scenics, they make some good stuff. Good thing is, there's a company local to me who make the turf, a lot cheaper than WS or other suppliers - now I know what WS call it, and see it's the same, I know what to order. Iris doesn't stock all the range, so without seeing it, and just reading a written description, I wasn't sure. Great stuff, now I can get what I need for the undergrowth base in the forest, for my FW 190 diorama. Thanks again mate!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back