1/72 Messerschmitt Bf 110 (Scratch) Heavy Hiters Group Build (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Coming along nicely. My father was a cabinet maker and later a wood carver so I know the work you're putting into this. What type of wood do you use?

I was afraid someone will ask me that question... :lol:
I'm afraid I can't give you precise answer Andy. Its some kind of "soft" wood as its easier to work with. You see my grandfather was a carpenter out of hobby, making chairs, tables and such. When making this wooden scratch models I work in his old workshop and use materials left from him. Although I inherited from him some interest in working with wood I'm far from being expert in distinguishing certain types of wood. When making some of my earlier wooden models I even used broomstick for fuselage (believe it or not).

Fair enough!.

I'm watching your progress with great interest. I remember when I was a kid, I got into my Dad's stash of wood and, along with a friend, decided to build a P-51 in a scale to match our GI Joes. So with the GI Joes about, what, 10 inches tall, that put the Mustang's scale wingspan at about 5 feet. I remember cutting and carving the fuselage and wings but when we got to the assembly stage, we gave up.

Quick question. Will you vacuform a disposible water bottle into a canopy? I've tried it and it seems to work pretty good. Just a light plastic bottle, a wooden form, some spacers and a hot air gun. :)

I've got some props and exhausts for you Igor. the props will need re-shaping slightly, and you'll need to make Bf110 spinners I'm afraid. There are four of the exhausts like those shown in the pic. Not 100% accurate, but close enough when mounted in the up and down positions on a '110. I'm still looking for a suitable tail wheel. Can you coinfirm which crosses (and colour) you need also, as I might have some to fit. I've got the swastikas the right size too I believe.
Do you need code letters, and if so, which ones and what colours? I'll see what I can find, or make, if the printer ink will be dense enough. Black is ok, and some other dark colours if used on a light background, but some just don't work well at all.

Attachments

• Avro, Bomber GB 059.jpg
    Avro, Bomber GB 059.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 102
  • Avro, Bomber GB 060.jpg
    Avro, Bomber GB 060.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 91
Further to Terry's offer, I've got spare 1:72 Bf 110 markings Igor (complete, incl. Balken- and Hakenkreuze) - 2x 110C/D, 1x 110E, 1x110G.

Is she going to a 'flier' or do you need undercarriage for her?

Cheers fellas! I must admit I'm a bit overwhelmed here. Your offers for help are very MUCH appreciated.

Despite my own doubts in my ability to do proper mottled camo scheme with hand brush only, this is the plane I've decided to make - Messerschmitt Bf 110F-2, S9+IC of Stab II/ZG 1, flown by Hpt. Gunther Tonne, Belgorod, Eastern front in June 1942

115002.jpg

I already have some decals which Andy (Crimea River) kindly sent to me, namely Wespe emblem, kill markings and code letters. He also sent four crosses, but these are very old decals so I don't know how would they do if I'll try to use them... So, in essence what I still need when decals are concerned is full complement of German national markings (6xBalkenkreuze + 2xHakenkreuze) for Bf 110F. This should be for 1942 plane full markings (black&white) in all six positions.

Evan, this model will be with landing gear lowered. I was planning to use main wheels and landing gear legs from old 1/72 Lightning model, since this is something closest to the Bf 110 that I have. Don't tell me you have spare main landing gear for Messerschmitt Bf 110...? :)

Terry, old chap, what can I say. You come to my rescue once again. I've came up with a work plan for making exhausts, but now I can only gladly accept your offer. These plastic exhausts will look much better and just for the part. Props too... And the tail wheel... :D
(Now if you only had something which could be used for that underside round antenna...) :oops:

As a side note, work on the Bf 110 model is running slow these days. I'm pressed with many private problems lately and being winter is not helping either. When I work with wooden models, I do most of work in my late grandfather's carpenter workshop and there's no heating in there. That's why I usually work there only in summer time.

Last edited:
For the underside round antenna you could use wire. Just wrap it around something round like a pencil or twig and cut. Then stick the ends in a dab of epoxy on wax paper. That should create a pretty good antenna with mount. Wax paper is usually found inside cereal boxes and candy wrapper if you don't have any handy.

Looks like Evan's offer of the decals will cover you Igor. Any I have anywhere near the correct size will be around 40 years old!! If you mean the circular DF loop, I'll make you one and send it with the props, exhausts and CD etc., unless you make a wire one. Let me know soon so that I know what to do.
I think I should be able to find some sort of wheel the correct size to use as a tailwheel, and if neccessary, I'll make a tailwheel yoke for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back