1/72 Messerschmitt Bf 110 (Scratch) Heavy Hiters Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks to everyone again. I might do some work on the model tomorrow and shall post new photos in that case.

For now, I would like to ask you for some advice and help... I was thinking a lot about paint scheme for this model and somehow narrowed the choice to two proposals, which I'm posting in the attachment. Desert scheme is my first choice for the simple reason as I'm still not sure in my ability to do a mottled scheme properly with a hand brush only (as I can't afford airbrush at this time). So I found this fairly simple paint scheme which I also like since I've never build any Luftwaffe bird in desert scheme. On the other hand I would very much like to build an eastern front machine... (See my dilemma.)

Of course all this thinking is fairly academic as I don't have decals for either one of this two. So I must yet again ask for help with the decals (same as I did in PTO GB. :oops: ). Does anyone have spare decals for Bf 110 in 1/72 scale?

Also I'm open for any other ideas and suggestions regarding the paint scheme. This doesn't have to be limited to Bf 110 E model and it can include F and early G models too. At this stage when I have yet to start serious work on the model only requirement is that it should be in fighter bomber version so I stay within GB frame. Thoughts, suggestions...?

Attachments

• 123.jpg
    123.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 533
  • 124.jpg
    124.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 242
Nice choice of schemes mate and nice work!

Sorry I can't be of assistance with decals

Igor a couple of other things to keep in mind if you're looking for accuracy. The two profiles you picked above will not only differ in colour scheme but also in details around the engine. The desert machines were fitted with tropical filters on the supercharger air intakes. Also there is an enlarged oil cooler on the desert planes and you can see the difference in the profiles above.

I have some 1/72 scale decals from Kagero that you can have if you like. Just squadron codes and markings, no crosses or swastikas. They are for:

Bf-110 B 2N+HK Eastern Prussia Sept 1939 RLM 70/71/65 splinter scheme. No mottling
Bf-110 D-0 A2+BH Battle of Britain RLM 74/75/76 with mottling (I don't trust this colour scheme)
Bf-110 D-2 3U+JR Cherbourg Sept 1940 also claimed to be RLM 74/75/76 with mottling (doubtful)
Bf-110 F-2 S9+IC of Stab II/ZG 1 Russia June 1940 Wespe scheme RLM 74/75/76
Bf-110 G-2 S9+AP 6/ZG1 Italy Sept 1943 74/75/75 Wespe scheme
Bf-110 G-2 2N+AM 4/ZG 76 Reich Defense ealry 1944

Let me know if you're interested in any of these. I could post profiles tomorrow and mail you the decals you want.

...Let me know if you're interested in any of these. I could post profiles tomorrow and mail you the decals you want.

Cheers mate. Sorry for late reply. I really appreciate your offer and might be interested in these two (since they would be only ones from the list equipped with bomb racks):

Bf-110 F-2 S9+IC of Stab II/ZG 1 Russia June 1941 Wespe scheme RLM 74/75/76
Bf-110 G-2 S9+AP 6/ZG1 Italy Sept 1943 74/75/75 Wespe scheme

Could you please post profiles of this two aircraft, so I could see their paint schemes. As it is most likely I won't be able to obtain decals for one of my own two proposals your offer might be the answer. I'm especially interested in Eastern front machine. You wrote you have only unit codes and letters decals, I assume this include actual Wespe emblem (nose art) too? Maybe someone else can help me with crosses and swastika markings? I might yet obtain two Balkenkreuze on my own (would have to check for exact dimensions though), but that would still leave me four crosses and two swastikas short...
Hm, although with some reserves (and unease) I might yet venture in attempting to do mottled scheme with hand brush.

In the meantime, I've done some work on the Bf 110 today. Basically the main wing is more or less done and I've started working on the fuselage too. Here are some photos: beginning of the work on the main wing (picture 1), trying to achieve the right look - thicker at the wing root and thinner at the wing ends (pictures 2 3), main wing more-less finished and some work done on the fuselage (picture 4 5) and final results of this day's work (pictures 6 7).

Attachments

• 2_05.jpg
    2_05.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 104
  • 2_04.jpg
    2_04.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 113
  • 2_03.jpg
    2_03.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 97
  • 2_02.jpg
    2_02.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 111
  • 2_01.jpg
    2_01.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 112
  • 2_06.jpg
    2_06.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 119
  • 2_07.jpg
    2_07.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Looking great so far Igor. Do you need any scale drawings which includethe cross sections of the fuselage? If so, PM me with your e-mail address and I'll send them asap.

Hi Igor.

Here are the scans of the two machines you requested. Yes, the decals include everything but the national insignia. Wespe, aircraft codes, and kill marks all included. If you are interested, send me a PM with your mailing address and I will send the decals. If so, I will aslo check my files for crosses and swastikas that might match. I have lots but maybe not the right scale.

Note that you have already committed on the rudder that you made. You should be able to confirm from the plans you're using but it looks to me like you've made a G series rudder - larger surface area than earlier models. Note the difference in the profiles. If you're picky and want accuracy, you'll need to go with S9+AP or cut a bit off your rudder to match the F or E models. Or, if you don't give sh!t, do anything you want!

Actually just noticed also that S9+AP has the tropical filters in the profile as well.

Attachments

• S9+AP.jpg
    S9+AP.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 186
  • S9+IC.jpg
    S9+IC.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 401
Last edited:
Thanks again to everyone.

Yes, I'm aware of the differences in the vertical tail section between earlier models and late G models and also of the difference in the engine cowlings and spinners between E and F/G models same as the difference between E/trop and "normal" E model. On your profiles the size difference of the rudder is quite evident, but on my model the tail section is actually supposed to represent E(!) model. I've used as a reference a Bf 110E drawing from Squadron-Signal book (see photo in the attachment). Don't know which is more accurate - your profiles or my drawing? Anyway I can always trim down the rudder a little or even make a new one if necessary.
One PM with my mailing address coming your way... :)

Attachments

• 3_01.jpg
    3_01.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 124
Igor,

Go with the scale drawings you have. The Kajero profiles above aren't necessarily accurate and to scale as I've discovered from experience. The tail on S9+IC above looks too pointy in the profile. The one you did looks better.

I have your PM and will mail you declas for both schemes above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back