Caproni Ca 311 Heavy Hitters Group Build (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

kgambit

Tech Sergeant
May 29, 2006
North Carolina
Given the likely delay in getting the resin part replacements for the Me 210, I'm going to start a second build.

Username: kgambit
Name: Dwight
Category 2/Intermediate
Model: Caproni Ca.311
Scale: 1:72
Kit by Italaerei (Italeri and Supermodel)
Decals by Tauro

I haven't decided on the marking scheme yet, but here are the three possibilities.

Scheme 1:
Unit: 32 Squadriglia, 15 Gruppo
Serial: 32-4
Libya 1941

Giallo Mimetico 4 with Verde Mimetico 3 mottling over Grigio Mimetico
(Dark green Mottling over Sand Yellow - Grey underside with white theatre band)

Scheme 2
Unit: 24 Squadriglia, 68 Gruppo, O.A.
Serial: 24-6
Venaria Reale 1942

Verde Oliva Scuro 2 over Grigio Azzuro Chiarro 1
(dark olive green - light blue grey underside - white theatre band)

Scheme 3:
Unit: 128 Squadriglia, 61 Gruppo Osservazione Aerea, Corpo di Spedizione Italiano in Russia (C.S.I.R.)
Serial: 128
Krivoy Rog area, Autumn 1941

upper surface and sides finished in dark green with Light Blue-Grey lower surfaces - yellow theatre band

I've got options for about 8 different marking schemes so the final scheme isn't set yet.

Attachments

• 32_4.jpg
    32_4.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 421
  • 32_3.jpg
    32_3.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 367
  • 32_9.jpg
    32_9.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 474
Last edited:
Ah... An Italian Job :lol: They are all good choices Dwight - How are you going to decide? 8)

If I were you I would follow the first one.

An interesting choice Dwight.:)

I'm leaning to the first one because that plane has a VERY cool looking black scorpion on the tail for the Unit marking. :)

I'll post some kit pics later today. I started on this one last night actually - nothing major, mostly taking some parts off the sprue for clean-up.

Last edited:
I like the look of the 3rd one too, Dwight, but that first option should look pretty sweet!

There's another scheme with Brown mottling over sand that I am considering and a dark green mottle over light green scheme as well as a couple of schemes with three colors (brown and green mottling over sand yellow) on the topside. None of those use the green house bubble canopy so I will probably pass on those. I'm still looking thru the Tauro decal schemes but I think it will likely be option 1.

Here's the color pallette for option one:

Attachments

• ua033.jpg
    ua033.jpg
    411 bytes · Views: 297
  • ua097.jpg
    ua097.jpg
    403 bytes · Views: 296
  • ua111.jpg
    ua111.jpg
    398 bytes · Views: 296
Last edited:
It's either those colors or these:

Attachments

• ua002.jpg
    ua002.jpg
    404 bytes · Views: 277
  • ua097.jpg
    ua097.jpg
    403 bytes · Views: 306
  • ua033.jpg
    ua033.jpg
    411 bytes · Views: 290
Sounds like some nice options mate! A Hungarian one would look nice too...

Of the colours you posted, I prefer the look of the second set.

Sounds like some nice options mate! A Hungarian one would look nice too...

:lol: Yeah it would but then I would be scrounging for decals. :lol: And we know how THAT ends up.

By the way, those colors are from the Life Color line of paints. That second green is the same one I used on the Sm 82 while the Sand color is more brown than the yellow that I am using on the SM 82.

Last edited:
Then again you could use the lighter colors on the upper half and blend in the darker ones on the lower half. That may produce an interesting effect.

The only difference in the two sets is the green in the last chip. :) It's interesting though that the second set gives the appearance of being slightly weathered when combined. My wife said that the second set looked a bit lighter across the board as well, and was surprised when I told her that the only difference was the last green chip. :)

Last edited:
This has potential Dwight myself #1 or #3 on the profiles.On the 210 in the other thread it was the Fine Molds an excellant kit drag about resin on that one.Cheers Kevin

Nice choice Dwight. So I guess there was no way to fix the resin parts for the Me-210, huh?

Thanks Andy. Unfortunately one of the parts, and the most visible one, could not be fixed. Since both parts are cockpit related and the interior is the first thing that gets done on the kit, I was basically at a standstill. There was very little I could do while I was waiting for the replacements. I had to err on the side of caution since the delivery date is uncertain.

Here's the decals I will be using. Note the little scorpion. Italian fascii are on another decal sheet. :)

Attachments

• IMG_0357v2.JPG
    IMG_0357v2.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back