Caproni Ca 311 Heavy Hitters Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys.

Been working on dressing up the interior cabin and some other stuff during breaks from masking those canopies. :lol: Adding some PE belts, a couple of small instrument panels to the side walls (salvaged from the busted parts of the Me 210 resin set no less), and some instrument decals to the center console.

Finished dropping the port wing light into place and mated both main wing halves. Started assembling the upper turret as well.

Masking this thing is a b!tch. The main canopy masking is ALMOST finished (after at least 5 hours). Still have the lower canopy to finish.

Pics tomorrow.

As promised and even a bit early - pics of the canopy masking - still in progress but the hard part is done except for ONE curve on each side. GAK!
Pics may be a bit blurry but you get the idea) :)

Attachments

• IMG_0372v2.JPG
    IMG_0372v2.JPG
    21.3 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0375v2.JPG
    IMG_0375v2.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_0377v2.JPG
    IMG_0377v2.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 80
Thanks DB.

A couple of more pics. The center instrument console is finished. The decals are from Mike Grant's 1/72 scale instrument decal set.

Attachments

• IMG_0379v2.JPG
    IMG_0379v2.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0383v2.JPG
    IMG_0383v2.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 104
Excellent! This is going to look really good Dwight. That masking must have taken hours to do, you must have a lot of patience! 8)

Thanks much. :) I'm liking the way it's turning out so far. :)

I think it took somewhere between 5 and 7 hours to get to that stage. Don't know exactly because I had to take periodic breaks - about 90 minutes at a time was my threshold. Add another half hour to lay tape over the interior gaps and that's just for the UPPER canopy. I still have the nose canopy to finish and the glass areas on that are smaller - so it's going to be tougher. Thankfully there are fewer sections. :lol:

Jeez! There's more bl**dy frame than glass! Great job, and a lot of patience (and dexterity) there Dwight. Are those instrument decal sheets available in 1/48th and 1/32nd scales do you know?

Jeez! There's more bl**dy frame than glass! Great job, and a lot of patience (and dexterity) there Dwight. Are those instrument decal sheets available in 1/48th and 1/32nd scales do you know?

Thanks everyone. :) Now it's on to the canopy nose. :lol:

Terry, those instrument decals are available in 1:32, 1:48 and 1:72 scale and Mike has versions for both props and jets. You can either order direct from Mike or thru Sprue Brothers. Cost per sheet is 7.50 US$ for 1:48 and 1:72 and 14 US$ for 1:32. If you order from Mike, he has a minimum order of 20$ but shipping (at least to the US) is free.

Here's his website:

Welcome to Mike Grant Decals

and a direct link to the instrument decals

Cockpit details

Thanks for the info and links Dwight. The instrument decals look good, and could prove useful for the odd job - think I might be trying a sheet or two.

Thanks for the info and links Dwight. The instrument decals look good, and could prove useful for the odd job - think I might be trying a sheet or two.

Glad to help Terry. :)

I've had no problems with those decals whatsoever. BTW, the decals are all printed on one continuous sheet of film so you'll have to cut them down to size. I wish I had a punch set to do that but I manage with a good pair of small but very sharp scissors. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back