Caproni Ca 311 Heavy Hitters Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks again Dwight - given that they're normal waterslide decals, my trusyt old scalpel will get them small enough to slide off. If not, then it's a case of very close trimming!

Cockpit detail finished.

Attachments

• IMG_0386v2.JPG
    IMG_0386v2.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_0391v2.JPG
    IMG_0391v2.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 112
Thanks H. :)

Almost forgot, masking on the three clear parts is almost finished. I have to proof the pics to make sure everything is lining up. Found a couple of places I need to redo or add a bit of tape.

Attachments

• IMG_0398v2.JPG
    IMG_0398v2.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 107
Very nice work Dwight. Only three instruments on the panel - 'Up/Down', 'Airspeed' and 'Reverse Speed' .....!!

Thanks Terry. :) Don't forget "ramming speed".

There's actually a few more instruments on the center console but you can't see them from those angles. Plus a couple that are off to the side of the cabin in a separate instrument panel.

Dwight doing good so far....masking looks like it was fun!:D

Thanks Wayne. Yeah it was fun when I got finished. :lol:

Damn Dwight thats some detailed and intricate work there mate! 8)

Thanks Mate. :)

Outstanding, how long did it take you to mask all that???

I started the masking on the 10th of January - finished on the 17th. Took a two day break in the middle to work on the interior cockpit details, the engines, props and some other odds and ends. So 6 days - probably 4 hours a day - I'm guess somewhere between around 24 hours total.

The flat underside canopy I did in one day - probably about 3 hours total. The upper half of the front canopy probably took 8 hours total. The rounded lower half of the front canopy was the nasty one. Those glass frames are really small and have a bunch of nasty angles and a couple of curved frames as well. Cutting the tape to fit was a real pain.

Make it stop!!!

:lol: masking all finished. Finished the upper turret. Added the side windows to the fuselage. Darn this thing has so much glass I think I am going start calling this "The Flying Greenhouse"

A couple of odds and ends to finish and then I can start adding the cockpit and the bomb racks inside the plane and close things up. Started working on the engine cowlings and attaching them to the wings.

Very nice work. Were the seatbelts part of the kit or aftermarket?

Thanks. :)

The belts and the rudder pedals were aftermarket by Eduard. :) Eduard makes an entire range of belts for various nationalities Luftwaffe, US, Japanese, and RAF along with a set of rudder pedals for german planes. I had to use a set of German rudder pedals - got something that was VERY close to the ones used by the Italians.

Last edited:
All the interior stuff is in place, the upper turret added and the fuselage is joined. Prepainted slighly around the turret socket to help minimize masking after it was in place. Wings, rudder and rear stabilizers going on now. Landing gear added to the underside of the engine cowlings. The Engine cowlings have a slot in them and need to be slid over the wings and then glued in place. Its badly designed as the mounting pins to align the cowlings allow for a LOT of wiggle and there are going to be some gaps after they are attached. Pics later.

Pics as promised: Front view with wings and rear stabilizers attached. Some seam work still needs to be done on the wings where they attach to the fuselage on the underside and on the upper starboard side.

You can also just see the engine housings and props in the background of the third pic. The cowlings are simply dry fitted into place. Next step is to get the cowlings, flaps, rudder and some odds and ends done.

Attachments

• IMG_0411v2.JPG
    IMG_0411v2.JPG
    109.6 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_0421v2.JPG
    IMG_0421v2.JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_0426v2.JPG
    IMG_0426v2.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread