1/72 Academy TBF-1 Avenger Heavy Hitters Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks all. I would have to say the speed is due to being on holiday vacation.. I really dont have the time on week days when school is around.

It's not that bad.. first the top layer chunks off into big pieces then you hit the core of the glue and thats when the "uniform" surface starts to show between the glue and plastic. It only takes some time because there's so many seams to be filled in on the aircraft. (I put glue over every seam, just as a safety valve). But its been the best path for me, as putty shrinks and sinks, CA does the job!

Tonights work.. I put another layer of CA over the wing seams to reassure the gaps, my chore of sore fingers. Added the stabilizers and filled those in too.

My modeling must be growing because if this was a few months ago i'd probably be done with the avenger by now :rolleyes:

Attachments

• PICT1209.JPG
    PICT1209.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 133
  • PICT1207.JPG
    PICT1207.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 131
  • PICT1208.JPG
    PICT1208.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 128
Looks great man. I dig what your saying about the time scale, I think as you progress with models you realise how much a difference getting it all sweet before painting can make.

Avengers rock 8)

Thanks alex. I think there is an 'invincible' standard for models that no one will point out. But we all know what it takes to make a model look like a model. Seams drive me nuts!! :shock:

Nice Job Cory!

Following this one closely since I have the exact same kit in my stash. THREE of them to be exact - so if anyone wants to trade for one of them let me know. :lol:

Good progress there Mags. Little tip for the future for big gaps at seams. Glue in a length of stretched sprue or plastic strip, then add the CA if required. It'll fill most of the gap, be a lot neater, and much easier to blend in and sand.

It's not that bad.. first the top layer chunks off into big pieces then you hit the core of the glue and thats when the "uniform" surface starts to show between the glue and plastic. It only takes some time because there's so many seams to be filled in on the aircraft. (I put glue over every seam, just as a safety valve). But its been the best path for me, as putty shrinks and sinks, CA does the job!

Thanks for the tip! I'm going to try it as I HATE using putty.

Paint shop! I tacked the canopy into place then liquid masked it, same as the ball turret. I sprayed the dark blue first but im going back over it as I just sprayed the bottom and will work up from there. My vallejo white sucked in the airbrush so I went to the LHS to buy some MM white, so much better!

Attachments

• PICT1212.JPG
    PICT1212.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 121
  • PICT1213.JPG
    PICT1213.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 142
  • PICT1214.JPG
    PICT1214.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 125

Users who are viewing this thread

Back