1/72 Academy TBF-1 Avenger Heavy Hitters Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Mines a 5 minute trip.. I actually got like 10 paints today, will cover the needs of the christmas models

Todays work.. lots of inefficient mask blemishes to fix. Took the masking tape off the tail fin to have the paint come with it, seems to be a theme in this GB!

Attachments

• PICT1217.JPG
    PICT1217.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 94
  • PICT1218.JPG
    PICT1218.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 84
  • PICT1219.JPG
    PICT1219.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 87
  • PICT1220.JPG
    PICT1220.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Agreed mates, its model master dark blue though. Hoping the matt cote kills its shine, or else we're in the deep end!

I think it's not just the shine Mags, but the colour itself needs to be darker - unless it just appears so on my laptop?

I think the color you need is something close to Aircraft Insignia Blue, ANA 605: FS 35044
(Model Master 1719/4742, Humbrol 189, Tamiya Royal Blue X03 - no polly scale equivalent)

It's sort of a dark blue with perhaps a touch of dark grey mixed in. Not good at describing it.

Btw, according to a review I've read of this kit on modellingmadness.com by Tim Mansfield, White 301 is not a TBF-1 but rather a TBM-3. You can find a picture of white 301 in "Avenger at War" page 87. White 301 was assigned to VT-84 USS Bunker Hill 1945

Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys, will reconsider and order the 'real' dark blue. Looking at it, the blue looks way off and like a picture of this crappy hellcat model I always see at the LHS which was used for cover art (same dark blue as mine). :)

Nah, everywhere else needs inter blue patching so it will take a second to fix. If I used enamel it probably wouldn't happen!

Corey, I share your pain, believe me....

Rather than get a new blue, you could try mixing a spot of black or grey into what you have. Actually I'd lean toward mostly grey with a spot of blue. I wouldn't go too dark as these Pacific machines bleached quite a bit in the sun.

Andy has it I think. Look at Dan's Corsair build how much lighter the original color was from the the normal color.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back