B-24 Liberator Diorama - 1/48th Scale.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks very much chaps, but I'm not happy with it.

The basic weathering, staining, dirt etc is fine, but some areas of the matt clear coat have frosted again ( see modified pic below, red arrows).
I've re-coated in a thin gloss coat, which has dried almost matt, removing the frosting, and I've cleaned some areas, and now currently working on getting the finish right.
Back when I've got it done ..........

Tanker 1.jpg
Tanker 2.jpg

The Tanker Unit, continued ................

Well, I wasted around two hours trying to spray another matt clear coat, and then gave up and brushed on a thin coat, which worked well enough.
I've never had a problem with this varnish before (Vallejo), having used it for a number of years now, and I think the problem might be the larger nozzle and needle I used in the airbrush, so I'll order a replacement. (the small nozzle / needle works fine, but coverage is too fine for spraying large areas).

Anyway, once the clear coat had fully dried, further staining, weathering and general grime were added, along with some paint wear around the ladder, hand rails and some of the filler covers, and then the spare wheel and main wheels were fitted. The white, night visibility markings were added to the rear cross member, and all the reflectors painted, and just await a gloss coat. The tail lamps are still to be done, and these will be made from clear sprue, with a coat of Tamiya clear red. I knocked off the rear step, so another one needs to be made and attached (I'm surprised it survived so long, with all the handling !).

Next step is to sort out the sizing, spacing, and positioning of the decals across the four sections of the rear doors, which might prove to be a little fiddly.

B-24 Diorama 248.JPG
B-24 Diorama 250.JPG
B-24 Diorama 251.JPG
B-24 Diorama 252.JPG
B-24 Diorama 253.JPG
B-24 Diorama 254.JPG
B-24 Diorama 255.JPG
B-24 Diorama 256.JPG
B-24 Diorama 258.JPG

I think the only weathering left would be stealing the tires, putting it up on scale cinder blocks, and adding rust and graffiti. Maybe a nice shrubbery. Nothing too ostentatious.
This is a really enjoyable build to watch. There's an airplane too?

Thanks very much, Vic and Rob !

Yes, there will be an aircraft, eventually, but I'll be doing most of the other items first, as I can then store them safely until it's time to place them in the diorama.
The Liberator in 1/48th scale is rather large, with a 27.5 inch wingspan, so it'll be difficult to store, and the intention is to get it done, then mount it straight onto the diorama base.
I still have a tractor, trailer, oil tanker trailer and some figures to do and, once the aircraft and vehicles are in place, then the work platform and other "set dressing" can be added,
These last few items will be rather tricky to position and fix in place, so I hope I don't **** it up at the last minute !!

Thanks chaps.

Glenn, it seems a lot, but, as the base won't be too crowded with "bits and pieces", and the tanker, oil trailer, and ammo trailer / tractor will be carefully positioned and angled, it should look convincing enough - I hope !
There would probably be a lot more in the way of servicing equipment, ladders, gantries etc, but if these were included, then it would certainly look crowded and somewhat artificial.

I'll be working on the rear doors later today, and I might fit them in place, although other "sticky out" bits will only be fitted once the complete unit is ready to go on to the base, to avoid damage.
I also intend to start work on the ammo and oil tanker trailers.

EDIT:- Forgot to add _ I've finally managed to get some info to Evri couriers regarding the correct address for the Koster B-24 turrets package, which has now arrived in the UK, so with luck, I may have it by early next week.

The Re-Fuelling Tanker - Final stage (for now).

I've got as far as I can with the tanker, for now, as the rear doors, tractor cab door, mirrors, and the connecting hoses will be better off being attached once the complete unit is ready to go on to the diorama base, to avoid damage when handling / storing etc.

The tail lamps have been painted, and glazed with PVA , ( the clear sprue idea didn't work as I'd wished), and the Divisional "2AD" and fleet number, "04" have been added to the rear crossmember (pics later).
After some fiddling, the lettering on the four sections of the rear doors has been completed, using individual letters from the "Railtec" decals sheet, and some fine, white line decals from a "Print Scale" sheet. Spacing of the letters leaves a bit to be desired, and there's a gap on one end of the white lines, but, as the doors will be folded back on themselves, in the open position, this shouldn't be noticeable, as half the wording, and the ends of the white lines, won't be seen. The doors have yet to be cleaned-up and receive a matt clear coat.

Next stage is to make the ammo trailer, and a small oil bowser trailer, and these will be adapted, with some scratch -building, from the parts provided in the Airfix 1/72nd scale RAF Bomber Re-Supply kit.
This kit allows a Bedford MW truck to be built in one of two versions, either as the MWD truck-back, or the MWC tanker back, and it's these parts that will be adapted, with scratch-built chassis, and wheels from the Revell and Airfix 1/48th scale ground support kits, along with some extra parts and axles etc.
The pics show the parts concerned, and a full description will be provided during the build, coming soon ............

B-24 Diorama 260.JPG
B-24 Diorama 262.JPG
B-24 Diorama 261.JPG
B-24 Diorama 263.JPG
B-24 Diorama 264.JPG
B-24 Diorama 265.JPG

Thanks all.

I've been having a break from the workbench today, as domestic things needed attention, but I'll be back soon with the latest on the fuel tanker, and the start of the two trailers conversion build.

The latest news regarding the Koster B-24 turrets set - it arrived in the UK at the Evri couriers depot (formerly Hermes), and after much hassle I was eventually able to pass on info regarding the correct delivery address.
However, Evri appear to lack common sense or internal communication skills, as the package was returned to the sender in the USA yesterday (Sat, 6th January) !!
Fortunately, Jeff at Rare-Plane Detective will re-send this, with the correct address, when it arrives back with him, so if all goes to plan, I should receive it eventually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back