Back in Time to Old Japan

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

"We are waiting for your girl, uncle Wayne"
Wow!

Attachments

• c0121212_21463614.jpg
    c0121212_21463614.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 123
Shinpachi, thanks for the pictures, i saw lots of 3 wheel transport in vietnam but they were the small vespa-tupe scooters used mostly as taxis in just about every city. these are in Da Nang
My youngest son Stephen was veally into anime. for a while he wanted to go to Japan to become an anime artist study. he lost interest but still goes to the big convention here every year

Attachments

• beachNhaTrang2.jpg
    beachNhaTrang2.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 120
  • danangtaxi.jpg
    danangtaxi.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 114
  • e09.jpg
    e09.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
Thanks mikewint for your interesting photos in Vietnam.

The early 3-wheel in Japan was also extended motorcycle.
"Messerschmitt" imported from Germany was popular too.

Anime costume play is totally out of my understanding but I admit young guys have their own culture and it is a good thing to communicate across the border.

Attachments

• Messerschmitt.JPG
    Messerschmitt.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 121
  • Daihatsu_1950.JPG
    Daihatsu_1950.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 138
  • Bontan_ame_Kagoshima_around 1955.jpg
    Bontan_ame_Kagoshima_around 1955.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 112
Anime costume play is totally out of my understanding but I admit young guys have their own culture and it is a good thing to communicate across the border.

Totally out of my understanding too, but it certainly makes for an interesting photo! So what things did you enjoy when you were a teenager my friend?

Totally out of my understanding too, but it certainly makes for an interesting photo! So what things did you enjoy when you were a teenager my friend?

Hello, Paul!

When I was a teenager, I and my friends were enjoying the long hair + mustache fashion influenced by the Hippie culture.
Our parents grieved and called us 'shame of Japan':(

One day in a commuter train, a middle-aged American preacher advised us 'Hey, baka(moron) cut your hair!':(

It was a fashion of the time and not my fault:(

Thanks!
:)

Shinpachi, that is amazing, two totally different countries thousands of miles apart and yet so similar. i graduated high school in 1961 and my first year in college i did the same thing. had hair down to my shoulders and carried signs protesting the ROTC marching on our campus
we had a similar car being developed several years ago, basically a motorcycle with the single front tire replaced with two. didn't last very long. now there is a motorcycle along the same lines

Attachments

• canam.jpg
    canam.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
Anime>not all Japanese are for it. That is childs' culture and I believe anime is still not widely accepted as the mainstay of our curtural grounds. It is still totally a sub-cultural thing (like military modeling) and I can say any foreign people visiting Japan for that purpose wouldn't be regarded as normal. This is for a precaution.

Last edited:
So cool modern bike, mikewint and so cool comment, ppopsie!
Thank You.

In case of the Japanese student movement in the 60s, in my memory, it was officially understood as a political struggle like "Peace to Vietnam!" or "Accept self-government by the student in the campus!" but I was feeling it as more emotional one than political. The movement looked emotional resistance to the arrogance of the old war generation

I have never known such a military system inside the campus as ROTC till now, mikewint.
Thanks for your very educational post.

Attached image from
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3itnXEr7kLM.

Attachments

• Tokyo_univ_1969.JPG
    Tokyo_univ_1969.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 176
Shinpachi, ROTC or Reserve Officer Training Corps was a program in some high schools and colleges to train potential Officers in the armed services. a student who graduated the program became a 2nd Lieutenant on college graduation. The University of Illinois where i went was a Land Grant College and as such all freshmen and sophomores were required to be in the ROTC. twice a week were were required to take ROTC training which often included marching in formation up and down the green. with Vietnam just starting Anti-War feeling were mild but anti-military were growing stronger so many of us protested the ROTC when we weren't marching. We were loosely organized into the SPU or Student Peace Movement which eventually became the SDS or Students for a Democratic Society.
Our protests in the late '60s were also becoming violent. probably the morst was Kent State University in Ohio where National Guards men fired live rounds into a group of students. 67 rounds in 13s killing 4 and wounding 9
the picture below won a Pulitzer Prize. May 2, 1970

Attachments

• kentstatex-large.jpg
    kentstatex-large.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
eagle, bad choice of words on my part. i stand corrected. i don't remember a JROTC my first contact was in college and the U of I no longer requires ROTC of all fresh and Soph students as they did in my day

Oh, thanks for your post, Capt. Vick:)

Yes, he committed suicide in 1970.
My father, same age as him, did not sympathize with him at all as Mishima was not IJA soldier during the war because of his weak constitution. It would have been his inferiority complex not being a soldier.

Yes, there were some movies he joined as an actor but I do not know the one about him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back