Boscombe Down Harvard 1/48th scale.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

You sneaky bar steward ! Yep - Jan knew I was going to the pub tonight - but!
I got the Boscombe Down Crest decals made, and a few stencils applied, before I went out.
Oh, and that was in between text messages from a certain Swettish person earlier this evening!
(I'm convinced that ex- Swedish Air Force personnel have been programmed to contact forum members just when they are about to do something important .. er...ahem! When they ... oh b*gg*r, you know what I mean!)

All the small decals and stencils are now in place, using a combination of kit and home-made stencil decals, home-made decals for the A&AEE Boscombe Down crest, and hand-painted 'No Step Footprints'.
Next stage is to tackle the canopy. The extra frames need to be added, and I want to see if it's possible to adapt the five kit pieces so that at least one canopy can be posed open.
More soon.

Attachments

• Harvard Build 116.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 82
  • Harvard Build 117.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 76
  • Harvard Build 115.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 90
Currently working on the canopy masking/new frame work, and I've just confirmed that there are cables from the rudder actuating horns. Out with the mini-drills and stretched sprue soon then !

Thanks very much Hugh.
The canopy is turning out to be a bit more complex than I at first thought. I knew that the rear, fixed screen as supplied is incorrect for a MkIIB, but I will add an extra vertical frame and live with it . However, the main canopy is supplied in three sections, and I had hoped to pose at least the front canopy open.
On the real aircraft, the front canopy slides over the fixed, centre section canopy, with the rear canopy sliding under the centre section - not to the rear as often depicted on models. The thickness of the mouldings prevents this happening with the kit parts, but I had planned to thin-down the base frame of the centre section, and possibly add shims to the base of the front canopy, to allow the latter to fit snugly over the centre. Initial tests show that this will still look wrong, so rather than mess about, and spoil the overall appearance, the canopies will be closed.
There is still work to do before this can be completed though!
PIC 1. This crop shows the longer rear screen on the MkIIB, and also the extra vertical frames in the main canopy sections. In addition, on the Boscombe Harvard, there are extra opening panels in each side of the front canopy glazed panels.
PICS 2 and 3. This is the first stage in getting it right. The windscreen and rear screen have had the frames painted matt black (the interior colour), with a neater, second coat yet to be applied. Once this has fully hardened, the frames will receive a coat or two of the yellow, before being dipped in 'Future' and fixed in place. This will give the reference points for fitting the other three sections.
PIC 4. The kit canopy sections, showing the 'Texan'- style frames. These will be masked and painted black, followed by the yellow, as already described. The extra vertical frames, and those on the rear, fixed section, will be added from painted tape.
PIC 5. A length of clear 'Sellotape' (ordinary, clear parcel tape) has been laid down on a piece of gless (an old glass drinks coaster) and painted matt black. Once dry, this will be over-painted in yellow. The required lengths will then be carefully cut to shape, and then applied to the canopy sections and pressed into place. A coat of 'Future' then provides the gloss to the paint, a shine to each canopy section, and also seals the tape in place. That's the plan anyway, and it has served me well in the past!
Just another few hours work should see the canopies done - maybe by the weekend !!

Attachments

• Harvard rear canopy.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 91
  • Harvard Build 126.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 89
  • Harvard Build 127.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 98
  • Harvard Build 124.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 92
  • Harvard Build 121.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 87

Users who are viewing this thread