Boscombe Down Harvard 1/48th scale.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Wojtek and Aaron. My hands are now stiff and my eyes crossed, after fiddling with this lot for a couple of hours !

Thanks very much guys. I'm still plodding on with the masking and painting of the canopies, and might have something to show later tonight.

Well, after b*gg*ring about for over 7 hours with the canopies, I moved on to something else!
The canopy sections were masked, the frames painted matt black and, when fully dry, painted yellow. The front and rear fixed screens were fitted, and the joints sealed with PVA, ready to align the main canopy sections.
This is where the fun (not!) started !
PIC 1 shows the front and rear screens in place, joints sealed but not painted. The extra vertical frame for the rear screen has yet to be added from painted tape - easier to do once firmly fixed in place.
PIC 2. The main canopy sections painted, and now showing wear from handling, trying to test-fit the bl**dy things!
These will now be re-touched as required, and the extra frames added, again from painted tape, before sealing the lot with 'Future'.
Now the fun bit - I need to remove the fixed, rear screen, in order to align each canopy section, so that they will butt-up to the rear screen. This will now be fitted last!
PICS 3 to 5 show the holes drilled for the rudder actuating cables, the vent pipes forward of the (empty) flap recesses, and that for the breather pipe on the lower, starboard cowling. The dirty finger marks will be removed!
I've had enough for now, so will return to this sometime over the weekend. thanks for your continued interest and compliments.

Attachments

• Harvard Build 135.jpg
    Harvard Build 135.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 61
  • Harvard Build 128.jpg
    Harvard Build 128.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 72
  • Harvard Build 138.jpg
    Harvard Build 138.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 59
  • Harvard Build 139.jpg
    Harvard Build 139.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 59
  • Harvard Build 140.jpg
    Harvard Build 140.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 67
Thanks very much David and Vic, I appreciate it.
I've made some progress with the canopies, and they are now in place and almost finished. I found that trying to make the small fillets on the extra frames was near impossible, as there wasn't enough surface area for the tape to stick! Once the canopies have fully set and are secure, these will be painted on, over the tape frames, along with the extra, small, opening panels in the pilot's hood.
All being well, I hope to get this stage finished and photographed later today, then it's on to the final construction and detail stage.

my English is very bad the truth, do not quite understand that the transparent paint in black but I guess that will be to make the joints of the glass, I saw that done in an exhibition of a component of israel in the IPMS contest 2000 torrent if I remember correctly.
you wear a fantastic job

Thank you Jan, Jelmer and Destozas.
The black paint on the clear tape (and on the canopy frames) is painted first, so that the inside will appear black, like the real aircraft, and not yellow. Normally, if possible, the inside frames of the canopy would be painted, but the shape of the Harvard canopy prevents this being done accurately.

well then that's what I do first color paint interior and exterior painting after, understood

Users who are viewing this thread

Back