CF-5A Freedom Fighter Kitbashed 1/48 Monogram F-5E

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Glenn. Let's hope the resin works out. This will be the first time I've tried this.

Real nice work Andy. It's nice to see someone going the extra mile to build the airplane you really want. Wonderful work, love the homemade lathe. I remember when you first brought it up, I looked at that shape and knew you had your work cut out for you. Glad to see you worked it out.

Bl**dy excellent work on that master pattern Andy ! Just looking at the pic of the real tank, those panels look to be externall, so maybe very thin plastic card, or decal cover tissue could replicate those?
Don't lose that master or the mould, as I reckon you could have a small income from marketing/selling those tanks !
One thing on the rivets. I'm guessing the CF 5 has been on its plinth fopr some time, so the effects of weathering will make all rivet and panel lines more pronounced, as paint tends to weather at different rates around joints, protrusions and rivets, plus any bi-metal reaction making them show more. I know you'll get it right, but I've seen some models detailed having been based on 'gate guardian' and other preserved examples, where the panel lines etc looked correct for that role, but not for an 'in service' aircraft.

Thaks Terry. I noticed that about the panels as well and will probably go with a single layer of scotch tape. The scribing would be tricky as some of them are oblong.

I agree with you 100% on the rivets and have no intention of making these prominent in any way. I've never tried the technique of using a ponce wheel before and thought this would be a good test case. Same for the home made resin tanks. Breaking new ground all over!

Here's a pic of the mounted CF-5 and, as you say, weather has taken its toll on the finish making the rivets quite prominent.

Attachments

• IMG_0368.JPG
    IMG_0368.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 110
That weathering of the undersideon that CF5 looks like a Hippocroccofrog's armpit !
Interesting to hear about the pounce wheel, as I've never tried one. Does it need a fair amount of pressure to get an indentation, or just a light 'roll' along the surface? There are a few occassions when I've thought of using one, mainly for obvious rivet lines, and normally after re-scribing, but I have doubts about my ability to control the thing, and not go too deep, due to the arthritis.

Hi Terry, sorry I missed this post.

The ponce wheel needs a moderate amount of pressure and I roll it against a metal ruler to keep it straight. One thing about these things is that the teeth are kind of square. To make it more realistic, the teeth should be filed or ground a bit to make them sharper and more circular. That, of course would make them take a little less pressure to leave an indentation.

I'm off this project for a couple of weeks visiting inlaws and outlaws and hope to be back at it in early August. Mind you, that's when the BoB Group Build starts, and it may be a bit tough staying motivated on this one!

Thanks Andy, useful info.
You've got four months for the BoB build, and six weeks (ish) for the current build. If you don't finish this, what happens when the next GB comes around? Another unfinished (BoB) entry !
First things first, don't let enthusiasm dictate to the point you move on before moving off!
B*ll*cks, I've been telling myself that for years !!
Finish one before starting the next mate - it's hard, as I've fonud out, but the better course, otherwise the projects collect dust, and after six months, a year etc, you forget all the details and it sits there for another six months, year, and so on.

Thanks Andy, useful info.
You've got four months for the BoB build, and six weeks (ish) for the current build. If you don't finish this, what happens when the next GB comes around? Another unfinished (BoB) entry !
First things first, don't let enthusiasm dictate to the point you move on before moving off!
B*ll*cks, I've been telling myself that for years !!
Finish one before starting the next mate - it's hard, as I've fonud out, but the better course, otherwise the projects collect dust, and after six months, a year etc, you forget all the details and it sits there for another six months, year, and so on.

I've discovered that recently, now I've got like 6 kits just sitting therewith no motivation to go back to them. :(

Hey how about stop talking about not being motivated...it gets me demotivated.......and bad enough I'm away for a week. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back