**** DONE: 1/24 P-40 - Aircraft in Foreign Service WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Was up early this morning, so got some work done on the P-40. Manage to get the keel, the formers on one side and the tail ass'y all pinned down. Depending on the weather, tomorrow, I may be able to work on it some more. FYI, there's no heat in the garage.

Charles

Attachments

• DSCN0315.JPG
    DSCN0315.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 98
Worked like a Turk, most of the day and have all the formers and all of the stringers on the fuselage. Next move is to paint the stringers with clear dope to seal the balsa, prior to covering with tissue. If I can find time, tomorrow (Sunday), I'll pin down the wings.

Charles

Attachments

• DSCN0318.JPG
    DSCN0318.JPG
    118.4 KB · Views: 125
..... what color is the darker of the two colors on the Russian camo ??

Charles

The camo is made of the US colours used for the RAF camo schemes. These were the DuPont paints 71-065 ( 71-035 or 71-009 ) Dark Earth, 71-013 Olive Drab for tops ant the 71-021 Natural Grey on undersides. The spinner propably was of the British Sky colour.

Last edited:
I have the Olive Drab and the Neutral Grey. What does that "dark earth" equate to in Model Master enamel ?? Of course, you know I'm not good at doing camo....

Charles

I have the Olive Drab and the Neutral Grey. What does that "dark earth" equate to in Model Master enamel ?? Of course, you know I'm not good at doing camo....

Charles

The correct paints for the camo are :

The Dark Earth - ModelMaster 1742 or 2108
DP71-035.png

The Olive Drab - ModelMaster 1764
DP71-013.png

The Natural Grey - ModelMaster 1731 mixed with some a blue colour.
DP71-021.png
DP71-061.png

Here samples of these colours..

DuPontTLSColours2.jpg

DuPontTLSColours.jpg

RAF+Sky+Blue.png

Last edited:
Thanks for the info on the paint, Wojtek. All assistance is appreciated.

Got two coats of clear dope on the fuselage. Also worked on pinning down the wings last night and this morning.
The dihedral is 7/8" per side and is set. I gotta quit, I'm wiped out.

Charles

Attachments

• DSCN0329.JPG
    DSCN0329.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 139
  • DSCN0330.JPG
    DSCN0330.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back