**** DONE: 1/48 A-4C Skyhawk-Mig Killer - Carrier Aircraft GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Terry and Andy. It's been almost 12 hrs. The decal has settled into the panel lines very nicely but has yet to move on the raised parts. Found a bottle of Pollyscale Decal solvent(How old is that?) and I recall it worked like a hot dang. Wrinkled the decals like crazy as Andy mentioned, but smoothed out over night. If that doesn't work, it's onto Micro-set/sol. Now accepting recommendations on the best ways to remove stubborn decals. :(

010.JPG

Oh yea...slight register issue but not a problem from 4ft. away. Anybody gets closer, I hits 'em with a stick.

Geo

Good Gawd, what are these decals made of? Three applications of Micro-set and they didn't budge. I finally took a cloth, as hot as I could handle, and rammed it down on the wee beastie. I claim victory, albeit, only a slight one. The marks on the decal...weathering. I started adding some more decals when, as I was sliding some numbers off the backing, they split and the piece that was left on the backing wouldn't let go for about 15 minutes. This thing is going to fight me to the bitter end. Having a little time out now, battery for the camera is charging, film at eleven.

003.JPG

Thanks for checking in,
Geo

You need to borrow Gandalf's Staff for this one :D

One side completed. Not all bad news with the decals but it seemed that just the ones with lettering hung up on the backing paper for about 1/8th of an inch. Register problem on the decals peculiar to this aircraft.I don't have spares for them so I'll have to live with it.

002.JPG

Thanks for looking in,
Geo

Thanks Dr. Gnomey. Normally, I would have put this back in the box and back in the stash long ago with the other nightmares. Since joining this forum, I've completed everything I've started. That is pretty impressive Paul. Is there a site I can go to and see if, perhaps, they were on the same mission. Further decals and painting of lil bits tonight. Photos later.

Thanks for checking in.

Geo

It's looking goo Geo. Can't see any problems with the decals, but then I can hardly see at the moment!

Thanks guys. Our story thus far. Right side has most of the decals in place. The same problems occurred as with the left side(circled, for some reason the ship name stuck in two places, broke in one). The Star and Bar over the refueling probe is on a separate addendum sheet in three pieces, the original being in one piece. I was hoping that this wasn't made out of the same Kevlar material as on the original sheet but alas, no. After a five minute battle of trying to coerce the middle 3/8" wide strip over the probe the white flag went up. I'm using the one piece one and will continue to belabor it into submission until the wee hours of the A.M..

003.JPG

Thanks for checking in,

Geo

Thanks guys. Sorry about the circles, I was showing where they hung up on the backing paper :oops:. The next picture shows the probe decals after multiple baths of Microsol/set, Mr.Mark softner/set, and Polly Scale Setting/Softening solutions(Notice how it settled into the panel lines though.) . Later today I'll hit it with a hot as I can stand it wet rag as I did with the wing Star/bar. The other photo is the gluing surface for the refueling probe, just over 1mm is my guess. I left it off as I felt it would have been knocked off sometime during final work. In hindsight, I think I should have taken a chance.

002.JPG
003.JPG

Thanks for looking in,

Geo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back