**** DONE: 1/48 CAC CA-13 Boomerang - Aircraft Nose Art GB.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Good one Peter, nice to see the Boomerang being well represented. Nice build progress as well, but hang onto that 'One go' as it's no longer around and the nearest thing I've found on the shelves to match it is 'Long Life' which works as a protection but lacks the shining qualities.

Thanks Guys. Okay, I'd better update everyone on progress.

Things have carried on since last update and I've been a bit slow in posting news, so I'll catch up of the next few days.

I've upgraded to Windows 8 over the past couple of weeks to find my scanner won't work and the printer is not happy etc, plus all the things that worked before need tweaking and whatever to get them how I like.

Okay on with it. 8)

Pic 1 2
Cockpit floor, controls and seat ready for assembly. Second pic is with them together. Instructions are unclear, but this how they should look.

Pic 3
First coats of interior green applied. Somehow this pic looks the wrong colour, so perhaps my camera didn't cope well with the lighting conditions. It is supposedly a close match for the RAF interior green.

Pic 4
This hole in the bottom of the wing is a camera port for the later CA-19 Boomerangs, so needs filling.

Pic 5
Recognition lights are present and I've added in the clear lenses supplied. I'll paint the back silver chrome and mask off with Maskol. When fully painted I'll go back and paint these in the three recognition colours.

Pic 6, 7, 8
The wheel wells are nicely detailed, with a separate main spar and a plastic rod to represent conduit from one side to the other. In reality they were a bit more busy than this, but I'll leave it alone. I did replace the plastic rod with a piece of brass tubing ( the plastic version was flimsy and would not go on straight ) and finished off with painting the bay zinc chromate yellow as per factory.

Next update soon - I promise! 8)

Attachments

• sequence18 005- resized.jpg
    sequence18 005- resized.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 137
  • sequence18 003- resized.jpg
    sequence18 003- resized.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 149
  • sequence17 002- resized.jpg
    sequence17 002- resized.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 141
  • sequence18 002- resized.jpg
    sequence18 002- resized.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 158
  • interior painting 001.jpg
    interior painting 001.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 135
  • wheel wells 002.jpg
    wheel wells 002.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 139
  • sequence18 001- resized.jpg
    sequence18 001- resized.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 141
  • sequence12 002- resized.jpg
    sequence12 002- resized.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 140
Nice little update Peter, you certainly have been busy. As for Window 8, I've been advised to hang back until the next version as there have been a lot of problems with this one which was basically developed to encompass touch screen use.

Thanks All

Nice little update Peter, you certainly have been busy. As for Window 8, I've been advised to hang back until the next version as there have been a lot of problems with this one which was basically developed to encompass touch screen use.

8.1 is out, but I opted for 8. Probably a dumb move. I think I need to install a "classic shell" so I can feel normal again!

Update on engine progress

The kit includes a complete resin engine, plus the front firewall and engine mounts. It's all very detailed. Progress thus far is as pics below, which was straight forward but for a couple of 'gotchas' that need mentioning. The push rods need adding, and I've done so here with wire. The intake pipes which attach to the rear engine case fit very poorly due to the misalignment of holes and cylinder. If I new this before I started I would probably fill and re-drill the holes to get a better effect.

I felt is was easier to paint the engine case and cylinders first before assembly, and the other details I'll deal with at the end. The last pic shows everything added.

I was toying with the idea of assembling the exhaust collector ring and painting it before adding it, but that proved to be a nightmare as the exhaust outlet tubes to not line up with the marking on the collector ring. To assembly it properly you must glue in place the collector ring and add the tubes between the cylinders and the ring. Just so happens that one set are too short by about 4mm and need to be lengthened to fit properly. I've circled the short tubes so you can see them. This is a fault in the parts and a look at some online reviews confirm this is not just my kit. So removal, fix and detail in the next update.

Cheers

Peter

Attachments

• engine 005 - resized.jpg
    engine 005 - resized.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 122
  • engine 004 - resized.jpg
    engine 004 - resized.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 110
  • engine 003 - resized.jpg
    engine 003 - resized.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 128
  • engine 002 - resized.jpg
    engine 002 - resized.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 127
  • engine 001 - resized.jpg
    engine 001 - resized.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 98
  • engine 006 - resized.jpg
    engine 006 - resized.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 108
  • engine 007 - resized.jpg
    engine 007 - resized.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 130
  • engine 009 - resized.jpg
    engine 009 - resized.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 120
Just love that engine Peter and though most of it may end up hidden, I always feel it's worth the effort just for the joy and sense of achievement and the looks.

Thanks Vic - you can actually see a fair bit through the wheel wells and cowl flaps, so it's not all lost.

Terry - I put an add in called "Classic Shell"to W8 - much easier to use now for those that don't have touch screens.

Finished up with the engine by extending out the exhaust tubes, glued them up in place and painted the exhaust manifold dark brown. This is going to be further enhanced with a dry brush of Model Masters burnt iron to get the look I'm after. That paint is diluted and 'spray only' but I think I can get away with just brushing it on. Difficult to spray now its in place.

For those that follow me with this kit I've had to slim down the main exhaust outlet so it will fit within the fuselage. (yeah - that's after adding the extra width previously!)

Cheers

Peter

Attachments

• engine 012 - resized.jpg
    engine 012 - resized.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 127
  • engine 011 - resized.jpg
    engine 011 - resized.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 131
  • engine 010 - resized.jpg
    engine 010 - resized.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
Cheers CR and Wayne!

Back to the instrument panel. I've got the stage where the cockpit framing is together and I can look more closely at the way the instrument panel parts come together.

Pic 1
The instructions are vague - damn vague!

Pic 2
Photo of boomerang panel. Note how the framing exits at an angle just under the panel to join the side frames.

Pic 3, 4 5
Okay, so this is how I think it goes together.

Pic 6
yeah, just paint the thing black. Rather than dry brush on the instrument details, I chose these 1/48 instrument decals. I did use a climb and bank decal from the Tamiya Beaufighter as the Boomerang used the English type in the upper left.

Pic 7
Panel in place. Seems to fit really well. Rear of the side subsidiary panels I've painted aluminum. The rear part of the fuselage frame, behind the pilot was yellow zinc chromate. I'll added some aluminum chipping and some 'dirt' to the cockpit area as the next steps. Could never have been kept too clean!

End of update.

Cheers

Peter

Attachments

• Instrument panel 003 - resized.jpg
    Instrument panel 003 - resized.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 131
  • Instrument panel 002 - resized.jpg
    Instrument panel 002 - resized.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 133
  • Instrument panel 001 - resized.jpg
    Instrument panel 001 - resized.jpg