**** DONE: 1/48 Otaki P-40e 196th IAP leningradsky VVS GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

N4521U

Colonel
Nov 1, 2009
Miranda, NSW
All I have to go by is the description of this illustration from Wings Pallete. I just liked the unusualness of the plane and camo. So this is one of my two entries into this GB.

Not sure where the original kit comes from, but I do understand it is a re-press from another manufacturer. Any idea?

Next a request from the forum members. I have been looking for, and have had no success in finding the red 27 for the side number. Can anyone put me onto this?

No after market stuff on this one. Some scratch built interior, exterior, maybe, as I go along.

I'm never gonna finish Merlin's Magic at this rate, but I am enjoying the challenge of GB"s. Bill

Attachments

• 1 VVS P-40e_a.jpg
    1 VVS P-40e_a.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 378
  • 1 VVS P-40e_b.JPG
    1 VVS P-40e_b.JPG
    122 KB · Views: 308
  • 1 VVS P-40e_c.JPG
    1 VVS P-40e_c.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 313
  • 1 VVS P-40e_d.JPG
    1 VVS P-40e_d.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 301
  • 1 VVS P-40e_e.JPG
    1 VVS P-40e_e.JPG
    122.8 KB · Views: 292
Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting cockpit. Two seats or am I smoking something?

I must have been smokin somnethin when I picked this one out, cuz for as many times I have looked at it, I never Once noticed the cockpit, or the fact there is no intake at the top of the nose? I am really batting a thousand on the choices for this GB!

Can we say a glutton for punishment.:lol: You certainly have your work cut out for yourself. I don't think it will be a problem though. We've all seen you do the scratch build thing and you are quite exceptional at it.:)

Thanks for that Erin and Dirk. I just have to cut a piece out of the back section and stuff a burlap bag back there. Don't even have to worry about a canopy! Easy peasy! HAHAHA!

Not the same plane, or conversion Bill. The picture is a short-tail P-40K with a completely different second cockpit conversion. The profile does look like a P-40E, but with modifications other than just the second cockpit. At first I thought it was a short-tail Merlin engined P-40, but the shape of radiator area matches the Allison engined P-40's, and the short tail with no fillet makes it either a P-40D, or E, and seeing that there were so few P-40D's made I would go with a P-40E.
But it has obviously been re-engined, but with what I can't tell. Maybe some Russian in-line engine. I'm not familiar at all with Russian engines. The spinner is defiantly not from a P-40. Looks more like a Spitfire spinner so maybe one can be substituted. The missing top intake could be removed easily enough.
One thing that is a plus is that that the shape of the rear windows on that Otaki kit is all wrong, and by adding the second cockpit that mistake in the kit will be eliminated.
This could turn into a very interesting build!!

Good Luck Bill that Otaki kit is a bit ruuuffffff on the fit in the nose area.I have one in the stash pull it out "look" and put it back in :lol:.Some good obs there Glenn. Cheers

You certainly pulled this cat out of the bag Bill, it's going to be fun, not sure what the camo is but I'll have a look at some books I've just got and see if they turn anything up.

They were re-engined Vic, with what was called a Klimov M-105. I am thinking this is the reason the radiator area on the picture is so different. I believe I read the P-40 was supplied with the Allison. There was an issue with maintenance of the Allison engines, spare parts etc. So this was the reason for re-engine. Now I have to look for the shape of the Klimov engine!!!! So here one is. I cannot find anything regarding the installation and physical changes.

I just wanted something simple to build............

Attachments

• 2 M-105.jpg
    2 M-105.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 278
Last edited:
The nose on the profile looks like the same shape. I think they used the same sheet metal. Just the deletion of the upper intake, a small teardrop shaped bulge (Probably for the rocker arm cover), and a different spinner (like I said above you might be able to substitute one from a Spitfire) Not too much work for a conversion like that. Cutting in the second cockpit would probably be more work.

Sorry for the last post, didn't see it was you that made the engine comments.
I found the same illustration T Bolt, but being not That familiar with the P-40, I didn't see any of what you picked up. That's a great help T. You're making this look a lot more doable now.

I can make a mold of the Spitty spinner easy!

I wonder if the blades are reversed tho? As most of them engines run back'erds!

According to my knowledge it is P-40 two-seater, used by VVS for reconnaissance flights.

Now That makes sense, the KGB in the back with a box camera. LOL

For the back seat I just made a mold of the pilots seat, easy! The first photo I made a box from clay, mounted the seat to the cutting matt, poured in my mold material and let it set. Second shot I took clay apart and turned the mold over, you can see the bottom of the seat. Third is the seat out of the mold. Took about ten minutes total. I'm onaroll.

*And not ONE picture on Google of a two seat cockpit!

Attachments

• 2a mold.jpg
    2a mold.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 221
  • 2b mold.jpg
    2b mold.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 221
  • 2c seat.jpg
    2c seat.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread