**** DONE: 1/48 Otaki P-40e 196th IAP leningradsky VVS GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I am happy with them Vic. Don't know how detailed I will get. W@e shall see.

So I have enlarged the dead on side view of the two seater, how fortunate am I? I have started hacking it up for the rear seat. I will have to make a fairing for the front of the vertical stab. I have found two seats for the plane. Not sure what they are off, just in my spares box. Off I go.......................

Attachments

• 4a scale.jpg
    4a scale.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 51
  • 4b cut.jpg
    4b cut.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 50
Bill are you doing the aircraft in the profile of post #1 or the picture in post #11? The one in the post #11 pic is a P-40K and looks like it still has the Allison engine. The one in Post #1 does not have the fillet on the tail and has the new engine (no top carb scoop, different exhaust stacks, and smaller spinner)

Bill are you doing the aircraft in the profile of post #1 or the picture in post #11? The one in the post #11 pic is a P-40K and looks like it still has the Allison engine. The one in Post #1 does not have the fillet on the tail and has the new engine (no top carb scoop, different exhaust stacks, and smaller spinner)

I guess I am using the profile as a template for the cockpit. I'm just not that familiar with the types. I want to do the diff engine exhaust, prop and spinner, just to make things difficult for myself. Thanks for the tip-off.

*I thought I was going to do pretty much out of the box, but I went berzerk with my scalpel and have cleaned off the insides of the cockpit. Scratch building here I come.

Last edited:
Okay, here's the rub. I have read the Russians had a penchant for lightening the aircraft for more range. This included armor plating, needless cockpit stuff, and even wing GUNS!!!!!! The P-40 was one of their favorite for long range capability with these mods. Now, having said that, can you see any ejection chutes under this wing???? Or even gun ports on the leading edge of the wing? I have reversed the image to bring out detail.

Whadayahthink?

Attachments

• 5 reverse.jpg
    5 reverse.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 54
The P-40E had a very distinctive bulge on the underside of the wing in the gun access door to make room for the rear ends to the guns as can be seen in the attached picture I took at the Air and Space museum. They along with any evidence of guns in the leading edge of the wings seem to be missing in your picture, so I think you would be justified in deleting them Bill.

Attachments

• P1020346.JPG
    P1020346.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 77
Pretty interesting isn't it..... Thanks for that observation T Bolt. In my conversations with Vic he seems to think they would have just covered the gun holes, and ejector chutes with fabric and dope. Doesn't explain the absence of the bulge under the wing. Do you think it could have been a total conversion for recee use?

The bulge was on a hinged door that is shown very well in those pics you posted in post #40. The door could have been taken off and the gun bay covered over with a piece of aluminum. This would have saved some weight also. I agree about covering over the gun ports also, but with all the other modifying going on I think it might be more likely that they would be covered over more permanently with a piece of aluminum.

Sometimes I think I pick the real doozies, just can't make things easy on me old seff. But then Who woulda guessed this one woulda brought all this up. Learn more by mistakes, and difficulty then by having it too easy eh?

Thanks again for your keen eye T!

I have been pluggin along on this baby..........
There are two pictures showing the kit cockpit, pretty basic.

Another shows a couple of fillets added to the seat. The next is the gun blister under the wing and the casing chutes that need to be removed. I used electrical tape to mask for my ruff filing. The next shows some of my casting resin to fill the blister, just in case the hole in the back went thru the wing, and filled the chutes. I did have to use some Mr Filler in the front when I removed the tape then finish sanded lightly. The last is all the work I have done to this point in the front cockpit. I'll just have to wing it for the back seat. I don't think the KGB officer in the back with the box camera would have had a stick and instruments. I may put a drop tank under both wings on this baby for range.

I sailor on with my lighter than a feather recee P-40! Do you suppose it could fly on Stolley in a pinch??????

Attachments

• 6a kit pit.jpg
    6a kit pit.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 54
  • 6e blister taped.jpg
    6e blister taped.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 89
  • 6g cockpit so far.jpg
    6g cockpit so far.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 50
  • 6c seat mod.jpg
    6c seat mod.jpg