**** DONE: 1/48 Hobbycraft La-7 of Kozhedub VVS GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

N4521U

Colonel
Nov 1, 2009
Miranda, NSW
This famous Russian pilot and plane are pretty well known. I happen to have the art print showing his plane in my collection and have wanted to do a decent build for a very long time. I did a pretty sloppy one a very long time ago. Also attached is a painting of the man himself, in later years.

No aftermarket parts for this one either. Scratch building some interior stuff, perhaps some exterior as I go along. All the appropriate decals are included, huzzah!

Bill

Attachments

• kozhedub.JPG
    kozhedub.JPG
    26.7 KB · Views: 360
  • 1 La-7_a.JPG
    1 La-7_a.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 385
  • 1 La-7_b.jpg
    1 La-7_b.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 670
  • 1 La-7_c.JPG
    1 La-7_c.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 369
  • 1 La-7_d.JPG
    1 La-7_d.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 448
  • 1 La-7_f.JPG
    1 La-7_f.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 373
  • 1 La-7_e.JPG
    1 La-7_e.JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 332
Last edited by a moderator:
Looking good. But are you sure if it is the correct camo scheme for the La-7?

Looking good. But are you sure if it is the correct camo scheme for the La-7?

You would have to bring this up........ Then I went looking, and low and behold!

Kozhedub's White 27

Controversy! Would I be amiss by doing the overall White plane for the GB, of course! So what to do????????? Since there are No Real photos of the white 27! Buggar *There must have been ONE bl**dy picture of white 27, somewhere!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Nice one Bill, you going to start with the number '27' being your theme for building, just like Jan (Lucky13) and his 13. Nice scheme as well, you'll have fun weathering the white I bet.

Nope just by chance the numbers are the same. In building this one, it doesn't look like I will have anything to authenticate the scheme. Even if the above thread is read, it doesn't look like Any of the 27 La-7 planes can be authenticated, which is a shame that this pilots plane were never preserved in photos.

So do I go with this overall white, or not?

Last edited:
the profile in Osprey's LaGG Lavochkin Aces of World War 2 it shows the aircraft in light grey upper surfaces

That's true...here both profiles I have found via the net. I have compared them to these in books mentioned above.And these are copied from them, I'm almost sure.
Also , according to my info The Russian VVS used the white paint for the winter camo scheme during the first two years of the war. Because of researchings of the NII VVS , it was taken note the white paint caused reducing of the speed of 0.5-1%. So it seems that it was the reason the winter camo scheme was given up. I have gone through a couple of books about the La-5/F/FN and La-7 and stated that most of La-5FNs and all La-7s of later war period were of the summer camo scheme during a winter. The first La-7s were introduced to squadrons in the summer ( August) of 1944 and more of them appeared in October and November of the same year. I don't think Russian repainted these during the winter 1944/45 when they were getting victory and running the West. It would be pointless.

Attachments

• la7 kozedub April45.jpg
    la7 kozedub April45.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 329
  • la7 kozedub Spring45.jpg
    la7 kozedub Spring45.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 446
Last edited:
Well, in fact I was building this for me own self, it just happened I thought, to fill the bill for the GB. So this is what I will do, the judges can determine if it does or not. I'm pretty much going to do an OB build, some interior and exterior mucking around. The paint scheme is my main objective.

So I have "tossed the coin" Wayne.
Thanks for the input Rochie, Wurger and for the walk around Wotan.

This supposedly is a pic of his last wartime mount. Pic from Soviet Air Power in World War II by Yefim Gordon. Cool choice and looking forward to your build.

Attachments

• White 27.JPG
    White 27.JPG
    16.1 KB · Views: 387
That would be about right David, I note that this one has 3 'Hero of the Soviet Union' stars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back