**** DONE: 1/48 Otaki P-40e 196th IAP leningradsky VVS GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Very nice work there Bill, looks really good mate. Andy, I think the second seat represents a Russian addition, hence the colour?

Looks great! Maybe I missed it but why is the rumble seat blue?

Ha I didn't see your reply and question. Never thought of it as a rumble seat. A bloke in high school had an old Ford, Real old, with a rumble seat, what a blast riding back there. Yep, is Rushyan interior blue!

Worked on the bottom this morning, up at 3, just couldn't sleep. Just a bit of tweeking at the join. I used my tube of paint chip filler. Th green putty just seems like crap sometimes. The body paint chip filler seems to bite right into the plastic and hangs on really good. Wings may go on after all.

Attachments

• 13 bott cleanup.jpg
    13 bott cleanup.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 129
Nice one Bill. For awkward joints I normally use 'Milliput', a two-part epoxy putty. It can be moulded and shaped virtually level and smooth with a wet finger, dries rock-hard without shrinkage, and can be sanded, drilled and tapped if required.

I'll have to look for that Milliput. This body shop filler is used for the parking lot paint chips on car doors. It's a very fine grind of solids. Has a nicely moderate agressive solvent which bites in to hold on. It sand very easily with paper or a fine file, and I mean Very easily. It's not as hard as a two part epoxy, or even Bondo. I filled the little gaps at the wings and the gap at the "tube" in the center last night and will finish today.

Won't get the wings on today, She is off for Easter and wants to do Together stuff, dam!

If you can't find 'Milliput' on Oz, and it should be available, let me know, and I'll send you a pack. You only need small amounts for most jobs, so it should last a long time!

Really I don't think the styrene of the model is bad. I have seen a few of Otaki kits. And none of these was bad. I wish I could get the same kit to check it myself.

Buddy I wish I could mail you mine!I probably will never build it for the fit issues(built one).I have built other Otaki kits mainly Ki-61 comes to mind and were okay and still on the shelf 20 years later.

Bill she is looking good but yea those few dollars saved means little now :) Cheers

I have been working on this thing. With radiation treatments that get in the way, it's slow going. Have finished off all the seams so it's ready for the white, someday.......

*I have painted the prop blades, I did use the Mig prop and spinner. I liked the silver front and black backs, so I copied this scheme from T Bolts Mig-3. I will have a picture or two when I get the white overall painted.

Last edited:
I did get the white on... souprise! This morning as the Oakland A's are playing on One I got the green down. Just some touch up to do, around the cockpit mainly. The 23 Tamiya color is what I am going to use on the bottom. The little jar of "thinner" is where I keep the airbrush tip between uses soaking in alcohol. I will try and do the blue today before treatment. 5 days off from radiation fizz, I hate my days revolving around 4:15pm. Just one photo today.

Attachments

• 15a green camo.jpg
    15a green camo.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 183
Well that sucked...... I made it light enough to see them..... maybe this one. I did get the blue down and did a dry fit of the prop. The backs of the blades are black..... I still have to clean up the leading edge of the wings.

Attachments

• 16 dry fit.jpg
    16 dry fit.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 176
Nice work Bill. You should give us a close up of the nose so we can see all that work you did on the exhaust and spinner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back