**** DONE: 1/48 Hobbycraft La-7 of Kozhedub VVS GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Well......... I don't know if this is kosher or not. I'm working outside the box on this part.
I am painting parts separately. Not sure if it's a gonna work or not, but I figured this would be a good one to give this a try on.
Under the oval is a mask for the red triangle. This is a rattle can fine primer from Tamiya. It actually goes on pretty nicely.
I'll paint the gloss white and remove the mask from the red. Then I will paint the undersides blue before buttoning the wings on.
Just gonna try this for ease of masking the blue. Call me silly. I don;t think this method would work on most kits tho.

Nothing ventured.............. nothing gained!

Attachments

• 5 primer.jpg
    5 primer.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 126
Some people prefer this approach and it can work if the fit of the parts is goods and tight. Personnally, I prefer getting the main parts together first to ensure the seams are tight and clean. This almost invariably involves some filling and sanding for me.

I have to try and be sooooo patient painting white, it's hard for me to do, arrrrrrh. So I painted at the end of the day, then the morning, and then this afternoon when I got home from the radiation fizz. I am reasonably happy with the white. Here is my first dry fit, prop is together, the backs are flat black.

Attachments

• 6 dry fit painted.jpg
    6 dry fit painted.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 142
The wife is out this morning with her Mum, so I had time to stick on the gear doors and paint the undersides. I sure am glad I'm getting close on this one. I want to get back on Merlin's Magic!

Attachments

• 7 undersides.jpg
    7 undersides.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 122
Thanks guys, both for following my build, and you replies and help...........

It's close to the finish line now. The mask leaked a bit, I will have to do some cleanup on the canopy. The gear leg supports need to be added as well. Oh, the wings are not attached, and the rudder! Doh.

Attachments

• 8 fits.jpg
    8 fits.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 115

Users who are viewing this thread

Back