**** DONE: 1/48 Otaki P-40e 196th IAP leningradsky VVS GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

From what I can see, it would be better to remove some plastic from the fuselage (cockpit rim), and then the centre canopy section should sit flush, at the right height.

From what I can see, it would be better to remove some plastic from the fuselage (cockpit rim), and then the centre canopy section should sit flush, at the right height.

Yeah, bloody sh!t, I was looking at doing that very thing when I was building, but just got worn out by the whole fit thing. I'm slaving away on the La-7 trying to get it done but will attempt a save on the P-40 before the deadline. Last time I do Two!!!!!!

Bad thing is, I want to do a Japanese captured Corsair for the Captured GB, and it;s a BS Otaki as well. I don't even want to look at the kit till then. But I will probably cave and look.

Bill, could you tell me if the Otaki model has all rivet and panel lines recessed or you engraved these?

I see. Thank you. It appears that the HobbyCraft kit is much worse than the Otaki set.

Maybe Wojtek but that kit mirrored alot of the Otaki issues with the engine area splaying open(mould issue).Sounds like a challenge hence the reason you have it Sir. ;)

Just sent you a PM. Undoubtedly the HC kit is similar to the Otaki one. The layout of pieces at mould frames is similar. A few pieces are moulded in different places. For instance the pilot's chair and the spinner. But there is a differency at the accuarcy. The Otaki kit is of the better quality judging by Bill's pictures. Also the Otaki set has a few pieces of a different and better shape ( main wheels for example )The plastic used for both models seems to be the same but of different colour. Generally, the HC kit should have been titled Curtiss P-40E Panzerhawk. :lol: The thickness of the fuselage styrene and wings is about 1.5-2mm or so at many areas. Geez..2X48=96mm = 9.6cm. It's enough for a real tank armour plates. :lol:

Anyway, Thank you Kevin for the kit. This is really something for me. :D

BTW I wonder which kit of these both was released as the first one.

Last edited:
I cut down the center canopy portion. It doesn't look it but it is Almost in-line with the slope of the fuselage behind it. Just the numbers now. I will have to cut a mask if I can;t find a red 27!!!!!!!

Attachments

• 19 almost.jpg
    19 almost.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 115
Yep, well, I do have the masks cut, just lazy putting them on, and work is getting in the way. Learning a new 3D router program. Will try and get them painted Sunday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back