**** DONE: 1/48 Otaki P-40e 196th IAP leningradsky VVS GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I see Bill. Because you use the Revell glue I thought it was the problem. Unfortunately the kind of cement isn't the best one. It is said , if you want to make some corrections to a model later, you should use this glue. A few years later the model will fall apart itself. So the styrene is fine I think. Keep working.

Last edited:
I see Bill. Because you use the Revell glue I thought it was the problem. Unfortunately the kind of cement isn't the best one. It is said , if you want to make some corrections to a model later, you should use this glue. A few years later the model will fall apart itself. So the styrene is fine I think. Keep working.

This kits just got me stymied. The real answer is stay away from this brand kit! Pay the extra money for kits that perform Wurger. The few dollars I saved was not worth the aggravation.

Really I don't think the styrene of the model is bad. I have seen a few of Otaki kits. And none of these was bad. I wish I could get the same kit to check it myself.

Wurger, that wedge was from the spru, just so I was doing like to like. Hoping to make sure everything would melt together. But it didn't. All my next models will be tried and true. Getting this kit for me, was like getting counterfit golf clubs, look the sme, But!

I used Gorilla glue to fix a small concrete statue that was broken and it was a disaster. The stuff sticks real well, but if foams up and expands. I would recommend testing it out first before using it on something you are going to keep

I wasn't aware that it expanded. I know they make different types but as in all things, experiment first. Thanks for the caution note.

Maybe I bought the wrong type. It was a dark brown liquid, and the when the foam hardened it reminded me of that expanding foam in a spray can you get at the home improvement store to fill holes, only somewhat denser.

IMGP0317.JPG
IMGP0318.JPG
IMGP0321.JPG
Well, in between my Irradiation and all other stuff I have to cope with these days, I have some progress on my VVS P-40. Cockpit is as done as I can get it. Seats, belts and some detailing. The exhaust modified to the Russian engine conversion. The scoop at the top of the nose has been removed. Gun shell doors smoothed over. I got the wedge in the fuselage at the bottom to spread it a bit for fit with the wings. All in all I'm pretty happy with how it is coming along. So now I can get the wings on and start on the finishing and painting. I got the Mig3 aftermarket prop for it, I think this will be as close as I can get to the real thing.

Forgive the picture sizes. My laptop has the dreaded blue screen of death, which has Corel, this is being posted from my little womans laptop, no Corel.

Bill

Thanks guys. The solution to the filling and wedges took a while. This evening I have filled the space at the rear of the wing. Tomorrow I will finish this off, after a rare day of work at the sign shop. Maybe I can get the wing attached over the weekend, if I can tear myself away from the Masters golf!

*Am I wrong, do they still use blue for interiors? I believe I have seen jets, don't know how old, that were painted with blue as an interior color.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back