**** DONE: 1/48 Otaki P-40e 196th IAP leningradsky VVS GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

You guys that mold your own parts amaze me. I was just reading a thread by a guy on another forum that made all kinds of new interior and exterior parts for the Airfix Mosquito. He pointed me to another forum with his tutorial but I'll be damed if I understand how its done. :oops:

It is really easy to mould own parts. The way used above is for making a copy of parts that come with a kit. Of course it won't have to be the one comming exactly with the kit. But it can be any you consider to be corrected in a shape or dimensions from any kits.
But if you want to make a new part, you have to scratch build its model firstly.

Last edited:
The only problem I have is finding the molding compounds and resin. I don't know what to look for and ended up getting stuff for kids crafts.

This is used primarily for duplicating, not creating new parts. Like above, you would need to scratch build for a model to mold. I needed a second seat, easier to duplicate the on in the kit than scratch build.

I think if you look at Micro Mark you will find the stuff. The mold making goop is Pink, the casting resin is Tan like Corn Flakes. I can't get the tan stuff here in Australia.

I think You Tube has some vids on the use. Both mold and resin mix 50/50. You just have to keep them separated before mixing. I just pour into a little plastic shot glass that has graduations embossed on the side. If you use metric to measure height, width and depth, multiply them and you get direct into ml's. easy.

PM me if you want some more info. Bill

I can make a series of photos. I have to make a spinner for this from my Spitty for the mod. I will do it then. may take a few days as I am trying to finish up my Typhoon and Mk.Vc for the GB. Hang in there tho. Bill

*I'll make a thread for it so it's easier to find.

I know this might be kinda late, but in regards to the photo Wurger is correct. This is the description next to the pic from Soviet Air Power in World War 2 by Yefim Gordon:

"34 White featuring a two-seat cockpit is not a trainer but a local 'P-40EF' photo recce conversion; the rear seat was occupied by the camera operator. The designation and the shape of the vertical tail suggests that the aircraft is in fact a P-40E refitted with the fin of a P-40K-5-CU during the conversion"

The book also states that the P-40's refitted with the M-105P engines were also refitted with VISh-61P propellers, with the smaller spinner and an adatptor to close the gap.

Attachments

• Soviet P-40.JPG
    Soviet P-40.JPG
    22 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Viking you have cleared so much up on this build. It is going to be a bit of a challenge, but a fun build. Finding a KGB figure in 1/48th and a box camera will be the real trick!

does anyone know of a prop of this type in scale?????

None the less, much appreciated Viking! Once again, it's why we are here.

does anyone know of a prop of this type in scale?????

The VISh-61P prop was quite the standard propeller used by Russian for their aircraft. Especially by Yak, LaGG, Pe-2 and a few others. Its diameter was of 3 meters. So you should look for the part for one of the Yak-1, LaGG-3 models.

Southern hospitality, didn't even have to ask. Didn't expect either. There used to be a couple that made sweet potato pie near where I lived in CA. yummmmmmm!

The VISh-61P prop was quite the standard propeller used by Russian for their aircraft. Especially by Yak, LaGG, Pe-2 and a few others. Its diameter was of 3 meters. So you should look for the part for one of the Yak-1, LaGG-3 models.

Having said that, would this Ultracast Mig3 prop be correct? The site doesn't mention the type it depicts.

Attachments

• mig3 prop jig.JPG
    mig3 prop jig.JPG
    27 KB · Views: 77
  • mig3 prop.jpg
    mig3 prop.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 91
I'm gonna tackle this one first as it requires the most work. Don't know how much detail I'm gonna be able to put into it with cutting it open for a rear seat. The wing join at the bottom requires some work as well, as you can see. I will get the Mig prop rather than try and do something with the Spit spinner, as the prop runs the Other way on Russian plans. I visited Vic the other day and we visited the Canberra War Memorial where there is a P-40E on display and I was able to get some good pictures, but trying to put Real detail into this one might be a real test. we shall see. I will have to try and get a couple of extra canopies to create glass for the mid and rear sections.

Attachments

• 3 wing seam.jpg
    3 wing seam.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 68
You should post the pics in the Warbird Display section Bill. I still have a few unbuilt P-40s around here and the more reference pics I can look at the better!

You should post the pics in the Warbird Display section Bill. I still have a few unbuilt P-40s around here and the more reference pics I can look at the better!

I went to that thread T. Sure wish it was by plane type. Can't imagine going thru all of them to find P-40's.... When I do post. So I am posting them here. Just a few of specific parts.

Attachments

• IMGP0063.JPG
    IMGP0063.JPG
    145.2 KB · Views: 64
  • IMGP0046.JPG
    IMGP0046.JPG
    132.3 KB · Views: 68
  • IMGP0054.JPG
    IMGP0054.JPG
    136.6 KB · Views: 60
  • IMGP0040.JPG
    IMGP0040.JPG