**** DONE: 1/48 P-40N RAAF - Aircraft in Foreign Service WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Isn't that interesting........ and OD on the underside? But it does appear a Little lighter, but not much.
Do you think it would have been OD on the undeside?

And the weight of the letters of the code? and it's all so white.

***What was the diameter of the roundel?
Then I can determine the height of the code, and line width.

Last edited:
Isn't that interesting........ and OD on the underside? But it does appear a Little lighter, but not much.
Do you think it would have been OD on the undeside?

And the weight of the letters of the code? and it's all so white.

***What was the diameter of the roundel?
Then I can determine the height of the code, and line width.

The scheme is OD/MG/NG. So neutral grey for the underside. The codes are very pale yes, but sky blue would fade out very quickly to "almost white" in the tropical sun. Attached below is another photo of (allegedly) Black Magic with it's previous ''owner'' Denny Baker. So are they faded out sky blue or dirty white?

Your call on this one Bill - I can't answer you!

Attachments

• Image05.jpg
    Image05.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 181
Steve is right. However looking at these pictures I would say that letters look more "fresh" than the camo scheme. So these could have been painted with the white though. The "fresh" sky blue would be more noticed.

Steve is right. However looking at these pictures I would say that letters look more "fresh" than the camo scheme. So these could have been painted with the white though. The "fresh" sky blue would be more noticed.

It might be. The pictures in flight are taken from an AWM film of less than clear quality. A29-575 had a hard and eventful life and was in service in tropical conditions for more than six months before being turned over to Len Waters . There is a short history in "This Smuttee Squadron" by Gordon Clarke.

P-40N-15 Kittyhawk IV HU-E A29-575 "Black Magic" (US Serial 42-106386)

Received by the squadron (Edit: 78 Squadron) in May 1944 and taken over by A Flight commanding officer F/L Denny Baker who named it "Black Magic". Just a few weeks after being taken on strength it also took part in the last major combat by the RAAF in the SWPA in WW2, where it shot down a Zero. A week later, again being piloted by Denny Baker, it shot down a Judy, the last enemy aircraft shot down by the RAAF in the New Guinea Campaign. It was mainly piloted by Denny until he left the Squadron in January 1945 when it was given to Australia's only Aboriginal pilot, F/Sgt Len Waters, who flew it until the end of the war. After it's long and faithful service in December 1945 this historic aircraft was stripped of usable equipment and burnt at Tarakan Island.

The first photo posted by Wildcat was taken early on. and looks tobe in reasonably tidy condition, but was almost certainly looking in less than pristine condition later when Len had her. The film was supposedly taken when actually being flown by Len, but that fact I'm not certain of, so time period unknown.

Bill has plenty of scope for weathering on this one, that's for sure.

Cheers

Peter

Last edited:
Wow. What reference pictures I have now......!

Looks like the fin flash was just omitted as well as the serial. Probably too much trouble and unnecessary with them big white tails, so F-it eh?

And the underside was just a camera film thing as well. Maybe beat up by the blasting it took on take off and landing in the dirt. Was the gray painted over an OD belly?

The weight of the code looks like the fault of the plane moving around in flight as they look pretty consistent in the group photo. I may have them printed in a pretty faded sky color. OR............. they couldn't be bothered with changing the bucket of paint....... so F-it eh?

The ailerons underside color is unusual, but will do this on the model.

The photo of old 477 up there looks like it mighta flipped, but the prop looks in good shape, and 573 they couldn't decide on a code..... so F-it eh?

I sure have more to go on now than when I made my first post.... you guys are champions.
I've got an idea for a way to display this, and others if I can convince the management to do what I envision for the museum.

Am glad I waited till now to send off the other markings for decals, I can include these now. I sailor on.

Howdy Bill

Yes, the name was on both sides.

If you decide to add the öther sides' "Black Magic", Gary Byk from Redroo is very helpful, so he may be able to supply the second side if you ask, or alternatively you could use standard white letters to do one or both. They are about 4in and decal sheets are available.

Cheers

Peter

Just got off the phone with Gary, he's had the Other side at the printer for some time and is sending me a second set so I can cut them up and have both sides!!! Wahoo. Also getting Diamond weighted wheels and a seat!

Thanks,
Bill

Hey Bill, not sure if this will be any good to you, just flushed it out of the old hard drive.

P-40N Kittyhawk. Ser no A29-575. Code HU-E. 78 Sqn RAAF.jpg

Wonderful Wayne.

So been doing stuff. Then I found some wheel wells someone had done so did a copy cat. Waiting for the seat from Red Roo.

The Stick is not straight up because I am gonna cast the control surfaces and have them flipped, same with thee rudder peddles.
I also got some tubes of oil paint and am gonna drink till I am giddy and attempt the shading thing in the cockpit!

Attachments

• GB20-1d P-40-1.jpg
    GB20-1d P-40-1.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 93

Users who are viewing this thread

Back